Having Issues With My Amazon Sword Plants,

KrystaK

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I went to an fish Auction in May and though I didn't buy any fish I did come away with five Amazon Sword plants at a very good deal.
I split them up, three plants in my 30 Gal tank and two in a 5 gal tank I had at the time.
Since then I've bought a 20 gal tank and moved the plants to that tank.

The plants in my 20 gal are doing pretty well, growing slowly, but all green and happy. I've even moved them a few times and they're still doing acceptably.
The plants in the 30 gal are deteriorating! :( Their leaves turn yellow and then go transparent, and at that point I prune them off.

The only difference I can think of is the lighting:
The 30 gal tank just has a normal light as far as I know. By normal I mean it doesn't do full spectrum for plant life
The 20 gal came with the appropriate light to support plant life.
I fertilize both tanks with 'Seachem Flourish Plant Supplements'.
The temperatures in each tank is stable at around 74-77.
Both tanks have bubble wall's right behind the plants (I use the plants to hide the bubble walls)
The pH is basic at 8.2, but I've read that Amazon swords are pretty adaptable.

I read that Amazon Swords need a medium light, is my 30 Gal tank light not supplying the right light for them? Would it be worth it for me to run down to the pet store and pick up the correct type of light? Is there anything else I can try to save them? They weren't expensive, but I would like them to thrive.

If you want to see a good picture of what they initially looked like, check out my sig. pic They're now half that large :/ and not nearly as green. 
This is one of the more recent pictures I have. Don't mind the sick Molly, but the plants in the back left of the picture.
fishy032.jpg

Here is a picture of the Sword plants in my 20 gal, they're much more green and don't have any yellowing or transparent leaves.
archery009.jpg

from my own experience this sounds like a lighting problem , i've had numerous swords over the years and all have melted and went bad never managed to keep them longer than 2 month's . I then kept the lighting unit i had from when i went marine got a very small sword plant from a friends unloved tank and in 3 months it's huge , from a 3" tall crummy looking plant into easily a 10" by 8" wide lushious plant . I have lights on for around 5-6 hours a day 2x54w t5's (1 is fugi purple other is marine white ) occasionally sticking on the halides for a few hours . So go buy that new bulb ! lol

Ok :) I've been figuring that was the problem, I just wanted someone else's opinion to be sure :)

Most reactions

Back