Have your fry lived when not separated from tank?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Have your fry lived when not separated from tank?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes all

• Total voters

Fish_n_Frys

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey,

I have some fry and my tank isn't very full so im starting to think if u have a not so full tank that leaving fry in the tank isn't such a bad idea? But if its kinda full it is as they will be eaten? :D

Any ideas?

i voted Yes a few because i am over run with sail fin molly's i gave a load away and can't get rid of them fast enough :S swordfish were like that but one of my 2 two Big 4" Female turned into a male :thumbs: so don't have that problem anymore with them :thumbs:

When my mollies first started having babies I always took them out. Then I got way too many fry, so I stopped. When they had babies after that, I left them in with the adults. Most would get eaten, but a few survived.

I have never had a fry last more then five days in the main tank, not even after having them in a trap for three weeks. That is why I have a fry tank.

Usually, when my guppies have fry, I put them in the fry tank, but once I left 3 in the main tank, and they all survived (theyre about 2 months old right now...).

Well a long time ago i got some beautiful platy fry, i left them in the main tank and 5days later they were all eaten. I then got a fry tank and now all is well.

i left my fry in my adult tank as my smaller tank is already full with my first batch of fry. in the last 3 months we've had 2 sets of molly fry! 1 survived from the first lot and we have 7 born about 2 weeks ago now and they're all still there.

I voted yes. my fish gave 7 fry and they are now about 1.5 cms long and very healthy. they were kept in the manin tank with other adult guppys and survived :flex:

I suppose most of it depends on what fish are in the with the fry- guppy fry are far less likely to be eaten by adult guppys than say, tiger barbs, which would much them up as soon as they were born.

The trick is making sure you have lots of cover!.. lots off bog wood/plants.. places to hide. That way the fitest will survive. I have platys in a 95g community along with 5 huge red rainbows that love anything small and wiggly to eat, but some always survive.. you dont see them at first but as they get a little bigger and braver they start to venture out to feed and your suprised by just how many new commers you have. On the plus side I think its far better for the moms to be left.. far less stressful so your not risking their health either. :flex: Good luck with it :D

I didn't realize my mama platy was pregnant. Then suddenly there were eight babies. I still have eight babies, but they're almost full grown size now. The next time only one survived (again I didn't realize she was pregnant). He is also still around.

Most reactions

Back