Has Anyone Ever Seen A Fish Recover From Severe Buoyancy Problems?

crmpicco

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
One of my Neon Tetras has major buoyancy problems and is spinning round in the familiar circle, upside-down motion.

It looked fine last night when I went to bed, but this morning when I bit up it was down at the bottom of the tank looking in a sorry state and struggling to stay buoyant.

I've had this problem with various fish in the past; guppies, tetras, harlequins, platies etc. however, I've yet to see a fish recover from this ailment. Is it possible or should I look to euthanise the fish to minimise suffering?

I have no spare tank to out this fish in, only a breeder trap.

Could you maybe post a little video.  From your description it makes me think both of swim bladder problems and whirling disease, both which are quite different.

I wouldn't say he "recovered" but one of my fighters experienced severe buoyancy problems, to the point where he'd just lay on his side at the top of the tank.
However, he lived for the following 4 months in a improved state, able to stay upright - however he couldn't leave the top of the water - and only occasionally would he tip slightly.

:) Hope this helps.

Doesn't look like Swim Bladder, so not sure.

ReiRei said:
Doesn't look like Swim Bladder, so not sure.
I have had various fish behave like this over the years. I was considering flushing the fish earlier, but he's still alive at the moment.

However, as I say has anyone seen a fish get better from this? Or is there any way to medicate it (without another tank)?

I think the future is bleak for my 18 month old tetra...

I take it to have any chance of saving the tetra I'd need to have a "hospital tank" setup and administer antibiotics?

I'm not sure either if it is swim bladder... when I've seen swim bladder is was more like the back end would float away whereas your neon seens to swim a big sideways.

Another possibility, but again I'm not sure here and don't rush off and try treating for this until you get some other opinions in the emergency forum... which is gill flukes... however, I believe the fish will not only seem off-balance but will flash/flick on objects as well.

Could be a sign of Neon Tetre Disease. Do you see any discoloration (especially red), spots, aso. It's quite rare and the other look really healthy though.
Antibiotics only work for bacterial infections. If not known don't use meds and especially no antibiotics !

crmpicco said:
I was considering flushing the fish earlier, but he's still alive at the moment.

Please never flush a fish unless it is as dead as dead can be.  A flushed fish that isn't dead dies a slow and agonizing death as it suffocates and drowns in sewage.

On a more related note, I had a tiger barb who swam like that for months.  It kept eating and eventually just stopped doing it.  Does your tetra appear to have any difficulty eating -- specifically that it can't accurately locate or reach the food?

Fish doesnt seem to have swim bladder, colouration is perfect looking so im not thinking ich/parasites/worms

Hmmmm. not sure.

I've only had a koi recover from buoyancy problems that were caused by sleeping sickness. I resolved this by upping the temperature by several degrees per hour (as they can die if left in the conditions that caused it; low temperature).

A part from the above, I've not experienced buoyancy issues in any other fish that I own.

You may want to consider treating the main tank with an internal bacterial treatment (as buoyancy issues can be either caused by sudden environmental changes or bacterial problems of the swim bladder) and attempt to feed the sick fish warm peas as this will release any trapped gas that may be influencing the fishes movement.

Most reactions

Back