Has Anyone Ever Bought Fish From Petsmart?

be sure to quarentine.
dont ask the sales ppl there about fish they will sell u a knife fish and a guppy together! but over all the quality of fish isnt to bad. not like wall mart fish! haha

It really depens on your petsmart, petco and walmart

But i have had really good experinces with petco

no so much petsmart.

and Yes, please qurainte all fish from all fish stores

-Alex

It really depens on your petsmart, petco and walmart

But i have had really good experinces with petco

no so much petsmart.

and Yes, please qurainte all fish from all fish stores

-Alex

I've notice they're not super knowledgeable but their fish look alright.
So it would be ok if i got fish there? They are cheaper than my lfs sometimes.

dont have a large enough petco nearby me. The one time i went there they were over an hour away and all of their fish were dying so they weren't selling.

I guess I'm lucky by having a great PetsMart that actually take care of their fish and are knowledgeable. Can't put a bad label on every PetsMart out there.

At my local PetSmart, only the manager knows anything about fish. Everyone else is clueless, even after working there for several months. However, the tanks are well maintained. If they carried anything I was interested in, I would buy from them.

My local Petco constantly have tanks of dead and dying fish. Don't get me started on WalMart, and I like them for everything except live fish. I sincerely hope WalMart stops selling fish, as I consider them incapable of selling fish in a responsible manner.

I prefer non-chain LFS with an owner that spends his time in the store.

As always, your milage may vary.

it depends on your petsmart. my petsmart has superb fish and the employees know enough about fish to refuse to sell big fish to people who dont have a big enough tank. surprisingly, they even know about cycling

the employes at my local petsmart know just enough about fish to get the avarge joe\jane mad when they make a suggestion about that persons tank. The store is reasonably stocked with fish, they have a big selection of african cichlids and alot of plants.

petsmart by me is good,

petco terrible, they fish are alway dead.

I like the nearest Petsmart to me (about 30 mins away), but only because the manager knows her stuff. I got a tiny little rubbernose/bulldog plec there the other day and he's 100% healthy... the manager even knew that it was easier to catch plecs by hand rather than using a net :p

I would really say that it really depends on the LFS. I swear by my local petsmart, and hate petco, while others hate petsmart and love petco. Go into the store, hang out for a while, ask some questions to figure out who knows what. Some employees are great, others are horrid. All within the same store. My favorite trick is to get them talking about their fish and what their dream tank is. Look around, and take in what you see. Don't be afraid to walk out empty handed.

my petco and petsmart normally have healthy fish but the petco staff don't know anything about fish, and only some of the petsmart staff know about fish.

:) I use to go to petco until I got some fish with ick. Went back and showed them the fish and my reciept but still was told that there was nothing they could do. I don't like the petsmart here as it is much like petco. Now I go to a place here called Uncle Bill's Pet Store. Have had good luck so far and they have opened a new store on the north side of town. I still go to petsmart and petco to buy filter media and things like that as they are less expensive but just not fish. :)

Most reactions

Back