Harvesting some fry

emeraldking

Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
This afternoon I've harvested some fry of the millions dusky fish (Phalloceros caudimaculatus reticulatus) from one of my outdoor tanks. Thought I had them all yesterday afternoon but as it seems, there were more. The past days I've been harvesting also other livebearers from the backyard and the balcony. Now it's getting colder with the fall season. The fry of today were still being very vividly swimming outdoorss at a water temperature of 12°C at day. Certain swordtails are alsos till swimming outside for they're too vivid at the moment. They tend to have the same resistance as most of their wild relatives.
IMG_5994.JPG
IMG_5993.JPG
IMG_5991.JPG

Below: And to those who don't know these livebearers, this is how an adult version looks like.
IMG_6000.JPG

They are great looking fish. I have white clouds outside. The ponds freeze over sometimes, the temperature has just got to 15C and they are already looking at spawning. Fish are incredible really

They are great looking fish. I have white clouds outside. The ponds freeze over sometimes, the temperature has just got to 15C and they are already looking at spawning. Fish are incredible really
The White clouds are still swimming outside overhere. They can handle pretty low temperatures.

Today I´ve continued harvesting my livebearers that are kept outdoors. Also today the water temperature was about 12°C. And again, those fish were still happy swimmers. A number of them are clearly pregnant. Today it was mainly swordtails and goodeids that were caught.
Below: A small number of fish when I just started scooping them out.
IMG_6049.JPG

IMG_6054.JPG

IMG_6055.JPG

IMG_6052.JPG

IMG_6057.JPG
IMG_6058.JPG

It shows again, that a lot of these subtropical and "tropical" fish are that hardy to withstand water temperature at day of 12°C and lower at night. And they're still vivid and healthy. And they still reproduce. To be honest, it's not any different than the past 35 years when I keep them outdoors.

Some nice looking fish. They look almost like Berlin Black Swords, fantastic.
I'm not even done yet catching all those fish. I've already started this past week. But somewhere by this week, I'll get the job done.
I've got multiple tubs in the backyard and on the balcony.

That is a lot of fish,:cool: I always wanted a fish pond in my back yard. I do set up a small plastic pool for my turtles during the summer.:good:

Tomorrow I'll continue. Today I didn't had the time for it for I had another aquarist paying me a visit. There are still fish hanging out in the tubs in the backyard.

Today I've harvested some more fry of the least killifish (Heterandria formosa) of the outdoor tank on the balcony. and also these were ver y alive in their behavior. And the water temperature was 13°C. Also these are very strong tiny livebearers.
IMG_6075.JPG
IMG_6076.JPG
IMG_6077.JPG
IMG_6078.JPG
IMG_6079.JPG
IMG_6080.JPG
IMG_6081.JPG

And I truly think that I haven't caught them all.

Most reactions

Back