Hair Algae

yabadaba

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Please, do any of you know of any fish (or snail/shrimp) that will be very likely to eat the hair hair algae in my tank and be suitable for community living? I have googled this and I've seen lots of different fish/shrimp recommendations but as soon as I settle on one that seems to fit the bill someone else posts that they had those same fish and they never touched their algae! By the way, the 'algae killer' would be going into a 110 litre tank with live plants & sand.

i dont know of a single fish that will eat it! but i do know how to get rid ;)

are you injecting CO2? also what is flow like in your tank

i dont know of a single fish that will eat it! but i do know how to get rid ;)

are you injecting CO2? also what is flow like in your tank
No CO2, but it's what I think you call a low light tank and the flow from my Fluval U3 seems good. I've also tried reducing the hours my lights are on, but this algae just seems to thrive. I think it may be related to the high amount of natural light that falls on my tank, as the algae growth seemed to get worse with the onset of summer. Perhaps now as autumn/winter sets in it will rectify itself?

i think a siamese algae eater will eat this type, but it looks very similar to a flying fox which wont eat it so make sure you get the right one......
not 100% on this but pretty sure :unsure:

American Flag Fish will eat it. Males are stunning as well. They're killifish, scientific name is jordenella floridae i think

they are small, about 1 inch long

i put mine in a tank and didn't feed for 2-3 days. they'd eaten most of it. If you want alot, get only male and the rest females as males tend to be agressive towards each other!

Most reactions

Back