Hair Algae Remover

Sime

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm not at all keen on using additives to the water to solve problems but i'm at a lost end now with hair algae and it's realy realy getting my down.

I was in the lfs and saw someone buying some additive to the water by Interpet - marked Hair Algae Remover. I asked them if they'd used it before and they said they wouldn't be without it. iIt didnt effect their plants or anything either.

Has anyone here got any opinions / experience using this product?

Simon.

I would only use an algae treatment as a last resort. If your system is balanced and you wish to rid existing algae then it may be useful. If your algae is growing prior to adding a treatment then things are not balanced in which case you will likely see the algae return after the treatment has worn off.

I'd suggest that constant treatment addition as indicated in your LFS is a bad idea in the long-term. If and when algae adapts to the treatment (and it probably will given enough time) then the algae will return relentlessly. Acheiving a balance is the key - but you knew that already!

BTW Do you know your phosphate levels in your tap water? High phosphates were a major problem for me until I used Rowaphos.

thanks for the reply.

its not growing anywhere near so fast now. i've been doing lots of partial water changes and got my nitrates down from 100 to 30 now.

i cannot test phospate as yet but will do once i get a test kit. i know they are high but i use a tea bag to reduce them which has always worked well for me.

it may be worth a try to rid the stuff thats left over, and then see if any more grows - which i dont think it will.

thanks again,
Simon.

Tea bags??? New one to me lol, anyone else tried this? What is the principle behind it?
I have had probs with beard / hair algae and bought some american flags to try and keep it down ( after having a major pruning session ) - the Siamese algae eater is supposed to be the best thing out - but there are a few fish being sold as them which arent, so read up on the differences before you think about buying lol - as the chinese algae eater and the flying fox can both get aggressive as the get older and bigger.
Good luck whatever you try!
Marie :thumbs:

Most reactions

Back