Hagen Natural Plant System

heresmike

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone here use the Hagen Natural Plant System? I just put one of these in one of my tanks, and I'm not sure if it's working right. The instructions don't say how many bubbles per minute, or minutes per bubble I should expect. I'm only getting one bubble approximately every 3 minutes. This sounds way low, but was maybe thinking the diffuser is so efficient that that's all it takes??

Anyone have experience with this unit??

i own one of those in my 20g tank and when you 1st make c02 mixture it can take any thing from a couple of hours to get going up to a day or two. so just keep an eye on it 4 now.

a.i.m said:
i own one of those in my 20g tank and when you 1st make c02 mixture it can take any thing from a couple of hours to get going up to a day or two. so just keep an eye on it 4 now.
So... what's the output rate like in your unit? Like I said, I'm getting bubbles, but only one every few minutes.

a bubble ebvery 2 or 3 seconds i supose is when its going well, has slowed right down at the mo because i need to do a new mix.

I just checked mine again. After having it run for 4 days, it's putting out 1 bubble per minute. So, I guess this is an improvement over the 1 bubble per 3 minutes, but still not up to the output I expected. It looks like it's headed in the right direction though!

I had this problem when I used the packets that are included initially when you buy the Natural yeast system. If you look on the side of the little packets you will find a production date imprint (ex. 01 2004 = made in January 2004). The packs that were included with my CO2 system were two years old, and they had very slow CO2 bubble production. Since then I make a point to check the date imprint before buying (if nervous, simply consult an associate and tell them what you are doing as you do it, no package-tearing required). The pack I have right now was produced in January 2004 and about 5 days in I just counted 7 bubbles/minute.
TIP: When buying Natural System CO2 refills, always take the one at the very back. If retailers are practicing proper stock rotation for perishables, the newest packs will always be at the very back, and the oldest packs at the very front. The newer the pack, the higher the bubble count.

Colin

Why use the expensive packs? When My ones run out (found out about this after I bought them! :grr: ) I plan on using my own recipe.

All thats in the packs is normal yeast and bicarb soda (to harden the water)

Cheaper & Simpler! :thumbs:

I originally thought that as well, but was told otherwise after. I suspect that since it runs for about a month, it is probably something closer to brewer's yeast as opposed to normal baking yeast. As for the bicarb soda (baking soda if I'm correct), I am told that isn't the exact ingredient in the stabalizer packet. This could be wrong as I haven't tested it. I figure paying $10 CAD for a 3-4 month supply isn't that bad. As well, when the bubble's start to slow in production, I add another spoon or two of sugar to get some more life out of the mix. It lets me get an extra week or so out of each packet.

Colin

Colin_BC said:
I had this problem when I used the packets that are included initially when you buy the Natural yeast system. If you look on the side of the little packets you will find a production date imprint (ex. 01 2004 = made in January 2004). The packs that were included with my CO2 system were two years old, and they had very slow CO2 bubble production. Since then I make a point to check the date imprint before buying (if nervous, simply consult an associate and tell them what you are doing as you do it, no package-tearing required). The pack I have right now was produced in January 2004 and about 5 days in I just counted 7 bubbles/minute.
TIP: When buying Natural System CO2 refills, always take the one at the very back. If retailers are practicing proper stock rotation for perishables, the newest packs will always be at the very back, and the oldest packs at the very front. The newer the pack, the higher the bubble count.

Colin
Good points. I never thought of checking for a date. The packs included in my kit are dated 01-2003, which would make it almost 2 years old. I'll be sure to check that when I buy the replacement packs. Thanks for the suggestion!

After 5 days, it's still improving... output is now 2 bubbles per minute. And I also noticed for the first time tonight that the bubbles start out very large, and dissipate to almost nothing by the time they reach the top of the diffuser. To me, that says it's being nicely absorbed into the water. It wasn't working that way until tonight!

heresmike, glad to help! Although, I'd almost be tempted to take your remaining packets back to where you purchased them and show them that the packs are well past the "Best if used within 18 months of production date" suggested on the package. The bubble production you are getting is about to the point that I decide it is time to replace mine, and that normally takes about 5 weeks to get that low production. I didn't realize how badly my CO2 reactor/diffuser was underperforming until I bought a fresh refill packet and saw how it should be.

Colin

I agree with colin take back the packs and show them they have sold you out of date ingrediants, and your set up is not producing bubbles and they might give you new in date pack or your money back because thats what you deserve! good luck! ;)

Most reactions

Back