Gups had babies

luvsgups

Reaction score
I was just curious to know how long does it take for the fry to get big enough to where they aren't considered prey? I have about 30-40 fry in one of those breeders nets. I had no intention on breeding, I bought the fish from Wal-Mart and two days later there they were. :/ I only have a 10 gallon tank, and the worker assured me that they were not pregnant, now what am I supposed to do? What size tank should I be considering now?

Hiya
My baby Gupps took about 2 to 3 weeks to get big enough for the parents not to eat them. Saying that, I left some in the main tank and they didn't get eaten either. It depends if you have other, bigger fish in with your guppies as they will eat the babies too. At about 6 weeks the babies start to have colour in their tails and you can see which ones are going to be pretty and which are male/female. Apparently they can change sex but I haven't experienced this.

You can take them to your lfs when they get bigger and the lfs sometimes give credit (quite handy when you need to buy fish food/equipment etc). Or put them on "Buy, sell or swap" forum, or get another tank like me. :whistle: You can see how easy it is to get multiple tank syndrome!!

Hi luvsgups :)

Welcome to the forum! :hi:

I'm going to move your thread to our Livebearers forum where it will most likely be seen by more members who keep guppies.

I'll look forward to seeing your posts! :D

If you decide to keep all of the fry, you will definately need a bigger tank :nod: Guppies are almost always pregnant, even if you don't have a male present. They are able to accept packets of sperm from the males so they can become pregnant again even after the male has been removed :rolleyes:

It's not the most popular suggestion, but if you leave the fry to fend for themselves in the tank with the parents there will be a few survivors, but they won't take over your tank :thumbs:

Welcome to the forums :)

I would put them all in the main tank. I think it's actually healthier because the small and the weak fry get eaten while the strong ones survive. My guppies have about 10 fry at a time, and there are usually 3-4 strong fry left after a week. Sure keeps the population down! :p

Most reactions

Back