Guppy "snout"?

PrairieSunflower

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Just wondering if this is a variation of normal. I've just realized that one of my guppies (about 2+ months old) seems to have a rather small snout (the area between her eyes and mouth). Its less pointy like your average guppy and more rounded. I will see if I can get a picture of her later or tomorrow). She has absolutely no problem functioning and I've not even noticed before.

Normal?

Right, turns out she is a very cooperative little guppy. :lol:

I took her picture and put it next to a picture of one of my older guppies. All my guppies have "snouts" like the top guppy... pointy... and just noticed this little one has a little round snout... which I actually noticed when she was next to another guppy who looks identical... except for the snout... wasn't able to get a picture of the other baby to compare babies though. Anyhow... all the rest of my babies have pointy noses same as the top guppy.

noses.jpg

I would just say its some sort of variation of a gene and shouldnt be any harm, the pointy "snout" enables guppies to feed off the waters surface maybe your guppy with rounded "snout" adapted because the food will fall to the bottom and therefore she does not need a pointy one?>

I don't know! She obviously is feeding well as she is a really good size and if she wasn't doing well I'd have noticed before. I was surprised when I just noticed though... it looks a bit more obvious when she is next to the other baby that looks like her.

I shall have to make sure I don't give her away so I can watch her grow up.

Yeah id actually be intrigued by this gene and would see about breeding her with another guppy you might get that will have it as it is obviously recessive so good luck with her :)

Yeah id actually be intrigued by this gene and would see about breeding her with another guppy you might get that will have it as it is obviously recessive so good luck with her :)

She is my second generation baby so there is a good chance I could figure out who her daddy is. So far she has a bit of yellow in her tail... if she keeps it then I will know for sure who her parents are.

This morning I have managed a better comparison picture with my newly named Persia with another female 1 week older... they were surprisingly cooperative too! LOL

Oct162012-01.jpg

Oct162012-02.jpg

same happened with mine and she eventullay just randomly died but was an adult i called her Halfjaw because i thought it was a deformity :lol:

When my platy had fry (preg from fish shop) one of the fry had a small face like that but was the one who didnt make it :( i noticed the small face right off the bat. Its cute but i am thinking it may be a deformity. Hopefullly yours will show no negative effect if that is the case!

I can make sure she doesn't breed if its a bad thing. My community tank only has females in it.

The thing is... she is actually a survivor as I lost a lot of fry born at that time... so, she may be decently healthy. Makes sense she could have other problems though.

I had the impression that you were going to breed a another short round snout with female i beleave it will create problems. however It is not always a bad thing to breed from a deformed fish It do not mean that a deformed fish will always pass it on to their young it's still possible to breed good quality fish. if you let your female breed with a normal male you may find most/all of them may be normel and healthy. any unwanted /deformed fry must be removed as soon as possible it's always best to breed from your best stock although it is best to avoid breeding from deformed fish unless it is really necessarily.

Initially, I didn't know what to do with her. But my goal with my own guppies is always to keep and casually breed the most robust ones rather than for color. In all likelihood, I will just let this one swim around in my community tank undisturbed for her days as she'd likely be culled if I gave her away to anyone else... and she seems to be doing just fine as she is.

Most reactions

Back