Guppy Issue

dodgegmc

Reaction score
we noticed the belly on this particular guppy getting quite big. we don't think its a female. im pretty sure its not a good thing for it to get this big so can anyone offer some advice on how to help the little guy? thanks in advance.

the camera angle is a little odd but it gets the point across as to whats going on with him

IMG_7274a.jpg

he's definitely a boy (note the pointy anal fin)

a few questions:
has he always looked like that?
if not, have you been feeding him more lately?
has he been swimming weirdly?

fallynleigh....
ty for the clarification on being a male
he hasn't always been that bloated looking
we actually cut back on the feeding and
hes swimming around as normal
he hasn't had any odd behavior, just this growing belly

btw... ty for responding back  :)

you are quite welcome... unfortunateatly if he's swimming and eating normal, and this is new, I really don't know what it is.  It could just be constipation or bloating, but don't take my word on it!  Lol, I'd see what the other (more experienced) members have to say.  Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

First, I would take stock of all the fish in the tank. Are they all looking bloated?

Fast the fish for two days. Give him a chance to poo. If you don't see him pooping, then you should get frozen or canned sweet peas, thaw them (if necessary), take off the bit of skin, mash up the peas and feed to your fish. This should help clear out some of the constipation (if it is constipation). You could also feed cucumber or zucchini. 

Next, if the peas don't help, take note of how much the fish is eating. If he is constantly hunting for food, if he's just eating and eating, it might be an internal parasite. You can buy medicines at your LFS to help with parasites, but I'm not well versed in any of these. 

Keep an eye on your whole stock. Try to see if this bloated one is eating more or less than usual. Check to see if his poop is white or clear and stringy. This is usually indicative of internal problems. 

attibones... ty for your response. the other fish are looking and acting normal as well. this is the only one showing the bloated signs. he hasn't been hunting for food or anything. he plays around with the other fish in his free time. so I will try the deshelled peas method and see if that helps him. thanks for the advice and ill keep yall updated.

fallynleigh... thanks for trying! :)  its really appreciated !

Most reactions

Back