Guppy Fry :)

adam12345

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
my female was heavly pregnant and i woke up this morning and she was in the plants by her self but i didnt but her in a breeding trap, wasnt sure when she would drop her fry. anyway came back this afternoon and she had realsed soem of the fry there was about 15 in my tank so i put her in a trap and she dropped even more. i managed to get a few out the tank but alot was eaten and now i have about 12 in a breeding trap :d:D this is my first fry so its exciting. hope they all live! they all seem to be swimming around all active. i put a little bit of food in which they eat so thats good. cant wait to watch them grow!

anyone who rises fry got any tips :)

thank you

Prob gonna sound like a control freak here but heres some tips.
1) Try to get a small tank to raise them in . It doesn't actually have to be big just so you can add live food to their diet because it helps them grow. I feed mine crushed flake and BBS.
2) 2 water changes a week helps them grow aswell.
3) Keep a record of how they grow and when they were born.
Most of mine are to small to go in the tank but a couple are in the big tank with the adults now.

~AJ~

yeah i have another tank set up for them but im cycling it at the moment. so they are staying in the main tank in a breeding trap for time being :) i have an under gravel filter and ive just noticed i had about 20 babies stuck right at the bottom of my gravel so i moved my gravel and they all got sucked in but i managed to get one out so i now have 13 i think :)

just a quiok queston. i have 13 guppy fry how long can they be keept in there breeding box? and i have an undergravel filter when will they be big enough not to get sucked into my gravel as i found loads like this when she gave birth. because when there ready to go into the tank i will get the adult guppys and put them in my other tank which is cycling at the moment. so the fry wont have any dangers. thanks.

The fry would be fine directly in the tank right now Adam. They are trying to hide from predators by placing themselves in the interstices in the gravel. If there were no predators in the tank, you would find them swimming freely around the entire tank very quickly.

The fry would be fine directly in the tank right now Adam. They are trying to hide from predators by placing themselves in the interstices in the gravel. If there were no predators in the tank, you would find them swimming freely around the entire tank very quickly.

what so my two day old little fry would be okay with an under gravel filter?

They would be fine with a UGF if there were no predatory fish to try to hunt them down. Fry are not at all helpless. They are tiny fish with enough common sense to try to avoid predation by trying to avoid adult fish. They do not have any problem swimming well enough to avoid being drawn in by a UGF. They do hide well in the substrate for the simple reason that they are not safe outside the substrate with adult fish in the tank. If you removed all adult fish, the fry would be all over that tank in only a couple of days. An under gravel filter has very low flow rates that a safe fry could easily swim away from. That does not mean that a mixed age tank can see new fry swimming freely with the adults. The fry do seem to recognize the threat that an adult poses. On the other hand, well fed adults pose very little threat to fry, as you can see here at feeding time in my endler tank. The fry are even safe with the adult Betta splendens that I keep in the tank. They swim right up to him, face to face, with no real threat to their well being. As you can probably tell, I did not clean the glass before taking the picture.
Firstshot.jpg

They would be fine with a UGF if there were no predatory fish to try to hunt them down. Fry are not at all helpless. They are tiny fish with enough common sense to try to avoid predation by trying to avoid adult fish. They do not have any problem swimming well enough to avoid being drawn in by a UGF. They do hide well in the substrate for the simple reason that they are not safe outside the substrate with adult fish in the tank. If you removed all adult fish, the fry would be all over that tank in only a couple of days. An under gravel filter has very low flow rates that a safe fry could easily swim away from. That does not mean that a mixed age tank can see new fry swimming freely with the adults. The fry do seem to recognize the threat that an adult poses. On the other hand, well fed adults pose very little threat to fry, as you can see here at feeding time in my endler tank. The fry are even safe with the adult Betta splendens that I keep in the tank. They swim right up to him, face to face, with no real threat to their well being. As you can probably tell, I did not clean the glass before taking the picture.
Firstshot.jpg

thanks very much for that information has helped alot. i did a water change today so when i next do one i will put the older guppys into my other tank and let the fry swim round there own tank :) cant wait to see them out of a breeding box! my under gravel filter has wuiter a flow on top of the water to get air into it its quite strong my older ones just about seem to manage when they go into the strongest bit will they fry be okay in it? or will they just avoid the strongest bit? might even help them devolp to be better swimmers?

just an update there now 3 days old eating perfectly well on very small peices of flake. got some bloodworm today which im going to try feed them on tommorrow night. had no deaths all is goign well!

all those fish together looks great by the way!

also could somone tell me when your able to sex the babys. ( i no how to tell the difference between male and female) but i want to no how old they are when you can tell? and also when they old enough to sex are they still small enough for other fish to eat? because i want females, and one male because my mate wants a male and i only want females so want to use the male as food for my other fish lol. i no its cruel but i dont want inbreeding and local shop sed he has enough guppys.

Its a myth about weak and deformed fish.
without inbreeding all these fancy guppy's Wouldn't exist.

Inbreeding is up to you. There is no faster way to develop the characteristics that you want than inbreeding. On the other hand, inbreeding can give an occasional reinforced negative result from recessive genes. If you are willing to remove the defectives, even that can lead to a better gene pool by allowing you to remove the genetic defectives. If you do not remove the defectives, it is better that you not allow any inbreeding.
UK royalty is often cited as a sample case against inbreeding without the necessary culling. They ended up with all kinds of problems over the last few centuries.

oh so inbreeding aint as bad as first thought! well i will remember this for the future. just a little update i thought i had 13 turns out to be 14 lol. i have now taken out the adults and put them into a seperate tank. and i have released the fry out of that rubbish breeding box into the tank. they look so much better! the strong flow in the tank they seem to love and liek to go in it quite alot so worried for nothing there haha. think there about 4 days old now and there doing great :)

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP PEOPLE :)

how long does it take for guppy fry to start showing colour? and how old is it when there able to be sexed? :)

Most reactions

Back