Guppy Classification

MicroBex

Reaction score
Hi all,
Just started up a new tank, and I'm interested in breeding guppies. I bought these two from Pets at Home, the male blue was the only blue male in the tank. It wasn't until I got home that I noticed the pink and green colouration on the males body. Is it a particular type or a one off? I'm interested in finding more of the same colouration as its so pretty! But it would be helpful if someone could give me a name or colour to search for, searching for 'blue guppies' yields hundreds of results :sad: . Interestingly the female guppy in the picture gave birth on day 2 of being in my tank, I can only hope the male blue is the father...but its very doubtful!

Attachments

• fish2 - Copy.jpg
    fish2 - Copy.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 50
Their is no line name I know of. Most guppies are imported as a type or just mixed, only thing you can do is ask the shop.

But to classify it, it's a blue tailed delta AOC (any other colour). Based on a gray body.
As your thinking about the fry it's unlikely their related to him, and for the next 6 months she can use stored sperm to fertilise the next lot of eggs, so even they may not be related to him.

The only way to be 100% sure would be to keep her on her own for 3-6 months, or until so no longer gives birth for 2-3 months. then breeding her to your male would result in all being from him.

Good luck with them though ;)

Thanks that helps alot! It was worth a try, that should narrow it down a bit when I'm searching on the internet. Alas it was bought from a Pets At Home, the most they know at my local Pets At Home is to keep the fish wet. :shifty:

Most reactions

Back