Guppy Being Bullied Now Sick

Kiwi2016

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I have 5 male tetras, 3 female mollies,a pleco and two female guppies.

Each time I feed the fish they all go to the surface for food except one of the guppies. I was worried that maybe she wasn't getting food but hoped that some food would sink to the bottom.

I have seen the other guppy pick at this guppy. Also the black molly and a tetra has picked at the guppy.

Today I see that the poor little guppy is not doing well. I've tried distracting the other fish with food and dropping a heavier wafer to her but the other fish scooped it up.

Is there anything I can do? Thanks

Try to quarantine her. Most fish will pick on a weak or sick fish even if they are not normally aggressive. Are there any signs of illness at all? Is there any possibility she may be pregnant? If she is fairly new she's probably pregnant. Guppys can have multiple batches of fry from just one mating. They have the ability to store superman. If she is pregnant and is close to dropping fry hiding and not eating are normal. However I would still seperate her so she doesn't get bullied by the other fish.

How big is your tank? I know that fish can get aggressive in a tank that is too small. What kind of tetras? Are you still in the process of stocking your tank? 3 mollies and 2 guppies is definitely not enough for a school, and it is suggested that you have at least six of most kinds of tetras.
I agree that you should try to separate her from the rest as soon as possible. If you have another tank, that would be great, or you can buy a breeder/isolation basket from your LFS.

Most reactions

Back