Guppy Advise

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Yes.

They reach sexual maturity and can start having fry from about 2 1/2 months old.

Totally agree. From my experience based on the fry that I've raised, the girls can get pregnant around 11 weeks old. Their first pregnancy lasts a little a little longer than normal adults and the drop is smaller.

I concur with the above.  The only problem is that if you breed them that young, it has a stunting effect on their overall growth..  .

henningc said:
I concur with the above.  The only problem is that if you breed them that young, it has a stunting effect on their overall growth..  .
I've never heard this before, but it does sound quite likely!

Unfortunately, most people don't have the facilities to separate out their females before one of the males gets to them!

henningc said:

While I have read that eary pregnancy will stunt the growth, it seems to me that the math doesn't exactly add up. In the wild and the bigger breeding farms, males and females are not separated and the boys will begin mating as soon as they are able. If getting pregnant stunted the growth wouldn't logic dictate that we would see many stunted guppies at the local fish stores?

My endlers began their mating dance with the female juveniles when they reached 9 weeks old. Obviously they knew that the time for breeding was close. 

I am currently raising my first batch of 4 females (born on Oct 10th) who got pregnant between 11 and 12 weeks old. Their drops were small and the fry were a tad smaller than the adults. At almost 18 weeks old they are still growing. They are currently about 2/3 the size of their mother. From what I've read, guppies reach full size at roughly six months of age. I guess that I'll find out in the next two months if their early pregnancy stunted their growth or not.

As this is my first attempt at raising fry to adulthood, I cannot say with any certainty that they will grow to full size or not. Only time will tell.

i breed guppies and supply to my lfs when the fry are old enough to sex i sepate them boy/girls in two different tanks if a male and female guppy are brother and sister they mate the fry wil be deformed

guppyguy1234 said:
if a male and female guppy are brother and sister they mate the fry wil be deformed
Not necessarily.

I disagree with what you’re saying it’s nonsense. if you can Do your own research bread them together. It’s the only way to learn and understand  the facts about inbreeding  guppies.

wat i mean by deformed is it might not be less colourfull but nay spend its life bumping into glass and being dopey and unabele to nate again

If your parent stock is healthy and the fry are raised well, you shouldn't get fry like that, whether the parents are related or not. It's nothing to do with inbreeding.

Most reactions

Back