Guppies Dying :(

TC7

Reaction score
Last weekend I noticed that my only male guppies tail started to look like it was fraying.
I assumed that it had fin rot, so I gave a dose of fin rot treatment, His tail never looked like it was getting any better though.

I've just had to do a massive water change and once finished I seen that a female guppy was nipping at his tail & bits where fraying off and she was tossing him about the tank even though he was still breathing. I moved him into a breeders box about 10mins ago and now he's passed :(
Any ideas what might have happened? Can fin rot kill fish?

One of my other female guppies has been lying on the gravel since I checked the tank this morning, she'll come up now & again and then straight back down again.

I just seem to be getting a run of bad luck with my tank this past month or so :(

I'm very sorry for your loss!!!

I've honestly never seen Fin Rot kill a fish before but I'm not ruling out the possibility of it doing so.
Is your tank cycled? Do you know your water parameters?

When I first began fishkeeping I bought guppies in my tank and I noticed they'd all start acting strange and dying off one by one. Ammonia is lethal to fish, and it seems as though it's particularly lethal to Guppies - even small traces always killed mine :-( The water change was probably a smart idea as well. Are you priming the water before you put it back in?

Definitely take some water tests and I can probably give you a little more assistance. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Last weekend I noticed that my only male guppies tail started to look like it was fraying.
I assumed that it had fin rot, so I gave a dose of fin rot treatment, His tail never looked like it was getting any better though.

I've just had to do a massive water change and once finished I seen that a female guppy was nipping at his tail & bits where fraying off and she was tossing him about the tank even though he was still breathing. I moved him into a breeders box about 10mins ago and now he's passed :(

One of my other female guppies has been lying on the gravel since I checked the tank this morning, she'll come up now & again and then straight back down again.

I just seem to be getting a run of bad luck with my tank this past month or so :(

I have had a very similar problem with my guppies too.. :(
I had 6 now just 1 left.. First.. one of my blue neon guppies just vanished (literally) then about 1-2 weeks later a yellow guppy vanished (no trace no body) then another blue male vanished.. So I was now down to 3 and recently one guppies tail got stuck on filter, his tail tore (3-4 days ago, he was still alive but)... I found his body in the tank today.. :( As I was doing a head count noticed one of my other guppies dead stuck under a wood piece.. :(
Now I only have 1 guppy left.. I dont think i'l be getting any more guppies, lost to many..

There is always a small possibility that, provided your water quality IS good and your tank is cycled, that you've just purchased the less hardy of the guppies in the LFS tank. Guppies are incredibly overbred on farms lately so their immune systems are pretty lousy. Add in the fact that they're also breeding with other guppies of similar genetic strands and you've got a recipe for trouble! People sometimes don't realize how sensitive and weak they've become due to this problem, especially since they're advertised as "hardy beginners' fish"

There is always a small possibility that, provided your water quality IS good and your tank is cycled, that you've just purchased the less hardy of the guppies in the LFS tank. Guppies are incredibly overbred on farms lately so their immune systems are pretty lousy. Add in the fact that they're also breeding with other guppies of similar genetic strands and you've got a recipe for trouble! People sometimes don't realize how sensitive and weak they've become due to this problem, especially since they're advertised as "hardy beginners' fish"

True

Just tested water and stats are as follows -

Ph - 7.5
High Range Ph - 7.4
Nitrate & Nitrite - 0ppm
Ammonia - 0.50ppm :/

Have just given tank a dose of Ammonia Remover and will check later to see if its cleared any.

Over the past few weeks I have lost - 1 neon tetra, 2 harlequins, 1 coral platy & 1 male guppy.
I check my water all the time and have never had any problems with ammonia etc, just had high nitrite one time but got it cleared straight away by doing 2 massive water changes.
I had to do another two 90/95% water changes yesterday morning & the night before as I had a baterial bloom but its also cleared now thankfully.

Hopefully once I get ammonia cleared I will be given a break for a while lol

I have had a very similar problem with my guppies too.. :(
I had 6 now just 1 left.. First.. one of my blue neon guppies just vanished (literally) then about 1-2 weeks later a yellow guppy vanished (no trace no body) then another blue male vanished.. So I was now down to 3 and recently one guppies tail got stuck on filter, his tail tore (3-4 days ago, he was still alive but)... I found his body in the tank today.. :( As I was doing a head count noticed one of my other guppies dead stuck under a wood piece.. :(
Now I only have 1 guppy left.. I dont think i'l be getting any more guppies, lost to many..

Sorry for your losses too :rip:

Most reactions

Back