Grow Out Tank..

Animation

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hey i won't be breeding untill the summer or even later but i wanted to start researching now.
How much would a minimal grow out tank be?
James

Depends on how large the spawn is. I always limit the egg production to around 50 eggs (then I take out the female even if she is still "in the mood") so I can use a 5 gal tank until the babies get to be about 1/2"--then I move them to a 10 gal. tank (after that, they begin to need their own rooms; the girls stay in the 10 gal. and are soon distributed to other homes). I do have a 20 gal. but I've never had to use it--but I have 4 10 gals. that I use all the time (I can put 8 beanie boxes in a 10 gal. and only use 1 heater).

Yeah it actually depends on the spawn size. I've seen people use 75 gallon tanks for multiple spawns as a growout tank so it depends on how much the pair 'get it on' :lol:

Well the most i could do is probably 12Gal. This seems to be a bit of a problem but by then i should be able to seperate the males.
James

Your answer: Storage bins :). These can be bought extremely cheap at Walmart, Target, Homedepot, etc. Choose the clear ones if you want to see your fishies grow up :D

I use 30 gallons, with so much space it means that I can jar a little later as they have more room to avoid eachother :D

Most reactions

Back