Green water?

Janicedelore

Reaction score
Any guesses to why my water is turning slightly green and what I can do about it? The tank is about 10 months old and hasn't been green before but recently it has a green tint. The only thing I'm wondering is that our Christmas tree is set up near it, could that do it?

Algae bloom most likely.
The easiest and most effective way is to buy a uv light filter and hook it up for a few days to kill off all the algae making the water green. This is a guaranteed solution.

The other way is really simple. Try blacking out the tank for a week or so and try to kill the algae by rest slight access which also works

Algae bloom most likely.
The easiest and most effective way is to buy a uv light filter and hook it up for a few days to kill off all the algae making the water green. This is a guaranteed solution.

The other way is really simple. Try blacking out the tank for a week or so and try to kill the algae by rest slight access which also works
Do you have one you recommend or will anything from Amazon work?

The UV light is just treating the symptoms. The green water showed up because of an imbalance between light and nutrients. If you can treat the cause, you get rid of the effects.
I've found that cutting back the lighting time and/or intensity often does the job.

I concur fully with @connorlindeman , you always solve a "problem" by rectifying the cause. Save your money, this is easy to deal with naturally. Aside from that, UV does not always work.

A photo of the tank might help pin this down, but assuming it is green algae, this is caused by unicellular algae occurring because of light and nutrients (food). Water changes (regular and substantial), cleaning the substrate of organics, cleaning the filter, not overfeeding or overstocking...all these are part of the issue.

I kept goldfish years ago and they are messy fish, two in a 30 gallon. One day my tank water was so green I couldn‘t see anything in the tank at all. Beneficial bacteria was poured in that evening and when I woke up the next day the tank was clear and back to normal. I just fed a little less and it never happened again.

I concur fully with @connorlindeman , you always solve a "problem" by rectifying the cause. Save your money, this is easy to deal with naturally. Aside from that, UV does not always work.

A photo of the tank might help pin this down, but assuming it is green algae, this is caused by unicellular algae occurring because of light and nutrients (food). Water changes (regular and substantial), cleaning the substrate of organics, cleaning the filter, not overfeeding or overstocking...all these are part of the issue.
It doesn't look real green in the picture but there is definitely a cloud to it. Lighting has been the same since February this year and we haven't had this problem before. Other than that we set up our Christmas tree recently with lights on it so maybe that's causing it? Should I just leave the lights off in the tank?

Attachments

• 20221213_210746.jpg
    20221213_210746.jpg
    390 KB · Views: 25
I cannot see anything I wold call "green water" in the photo, but I realize that photos do not always convey the exact colour tone. As for the lights, you do not have live plants so the tank light can be varied--however, light is very important for fish health/well-being. The tank light period representing the "day"should be consistent each 24hours, and using a timer is best for this. Turning the tank light on and off is stressful to fish. Light in the room is also important. Read more here:

Most reactions

Back