Green Water

basil1

Reaction score
Hi, got my new tank cycled, live plants been in with bogwood, root etc for weeks, fish been in for about 2 weeks, been doing 10L water changes regular ( 64L tank ) all tests ok ( nitrate been creeping up ) only 10 - 15 but apart from that ok, except my water is going green, lfs told me to use something called greenaway, but I don't want to use chemicals really, also been told to black out tank for 3 days, but if this is going to be a regular thing as I presume its an algae bloom, would I be better off with a uv system, its only a 64L tank so it would have to be small, if so can anyone recommend one, been looking at one called the green killing machine, but its only available in the US,

By the way I have a aquamode 600, with wet n dry trickle system, ta.

Is the wood fresh in the water? I know in past experience that when I added wood to my tanks that it stained the water dramatically. Took about 4 months to clear up.

Hi basil1,

All forms of algae are triggered by light + ammonia (trace ammonia that reads zero on our kits is enough to make algae trigger.) Once algae spores have been triggered and you find a problem with a particular type, you have to go after that type on a per-type basis. (anyway, have to put that "boilerplate" up here :lol: )

Green water is no exception, trace ammonia and excess light will both be factors and aspects of maintenance that go at those two things will tend to help the situation. For the ammonia factor its going to be frequency and size of gravel-clean-water-changes. For the light its going to be either easing back on hours or dropping hours down to the "bottom" (4 hours) and then easing your way back up that will help you find a balance.

Now, to green water in particular (finally :lol: )... in my reading and experience here the multi-day blackout method is indeed the method of choice for a strong fight against green water. I would seriously consider a round or two of this type of fight, combined with any refinements in the two maintenance areas I've mentioned above. I believe if you take care to really seriously wrap the tank to truly black it out you will have a greater chance of success.

I would try that first before spending money on a UV setup, but if you have a serious sunlight/location problem then ultimately the UV may end up being a necessary solution for you.

In your case I would be especially suspicious about whether your gravel cleaning is being done deeply and thoroughly enough (this is a big factor) and of course the light-hours factor is big (especially if you are beyond 8 hours.) Don't forget that multi-celled plants need about a 4 hour block to get their photosynthetic machinery going and to produce some useful sugars for the plant, so 4 and then 2 x 4 are probably your two lighting options (assume you are below 1.5 watts/US-gallon if you are not using CO2, right?)

~~waterdrop~~

Perfect answer from waterdrop! I too had a problem with green water in two tanks and would relate it to new tanks big changes in tanks (removing the gravel and underground filter system for instance) and tiny ammonia spikes with light. I did not have as much luck with a black out but a 9 volt green killing machine UV system has worked for both my 60 gal and now my 30 gal. I move it around as I need it. And I think now with experience, consistent maintenance and watching my light my problems are resolved. I do like having the UV system around just in case though.

Green water algae requires lots of intense lighting to grow at all. I can never seem to succeed indoors even when I start with a good culture. I have no trouble growing it outdoors using sunlight though. It is only an aesthetic problem, not a problem for your fish. In your situation I would try cutting back on the tank lighting and see if it doesn't just go away on its own. Even water changes are no help with green water if you still have plenty of light. As WD said, the slight traces we cannot measure of ammonia is enough to keep the green water growing well.

Perfect answer from waterdrop! I too had a problem with green water in two tanks and would relate it to new tanks big changes in tanks (removing the gravel and underground filter system for instance) and tiny ammonia spikes with light. I did not have as much luck with a black out but a 9 volt green killing machine UV system has worked for both my 60 gal and now my 30 gal. I move it around as I need it. And I think now with experience, consistent maintenance and watching my light my problems are resolved. I do like having the UV system around just in case though.
I have been looking at this machine, but It seems only available in the US, however I think I have found the same one under the fishrfun brand, is http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/9-WATT-AQUARIUM-UV-STERILIZER-/370421188692?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish

Is it the same as yours, as its going in my 64L aquamode 600, it has to be small, could you give me the dimentions please, and how do you find getting spare bulbs, according to the insructions, when the red l e d goes out after around 6 months you have to buy a new bulb complete with case even if bulb is still working.

Combination UV and power heads are indeed used to kill green water algae. They can be quite effective but are not really needed.

Most reactions

Back