Green Cory Sexing Age?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

DiddleBug

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have some 4 1/2 month old  green corys and I'd like to sell some to clear up some space.  I'll just be keeping the best 2 females and 4-5 males.  How old do they have to be before you can tell the males from the females?

With C. Aeneus, it is before a year, I think around 9-11 months. 

Ok, so you can't sex them till they're about breeding age?

Sounds about right.  My Orange lasers are approx 10months old and I struggle to tell M from F at the moment, and they are about 1.5-2 inch long..

DiddleBug said:
Ok, so you can't sex them till they're about breeding age?

Nope :)  There's no real way to tell until the females start rounding out, then it's easier to say "well, that one must be male then" ;) 

No problem! I love my green cories, most ppl overlook them bc they're so common and easily attained, but they're super hardy and have great personalities :)

I know! Ever since I got my first green cory I've almost always kept some in both my tanks. They are a bit shy, but if you can get over that they are great fish. It's nice how they never fight with eachother or other fish.

Well one can look at the ventral fins. Males are more pointed, females more rounded.
But it is easiest from above. Speedboat = male, Tugboat = female.

Yeah, but it's hard to get a good look.
Also females tend to rest a bit nose up on the bottom, whereas males tend to sit flat.
Still overhead view is easiest.

greenmumma141 said:
No problem! I love my green cories, most ppl overlook them bc they're so common and easily attained, but they're super hardy and have great personalities
smile.png

Wish they were common in the UK.
Only place I have found them local to me want £15 Each !!!

Shaddex said:

No problem! I love my green cories, most ppl overlook them bc they're so common and easily attained, but they're super hardy and have great personalities
smile.png

Wish they were common in the UK.
Only place I have found them local to me want £15 Each !!!

Whhhatt!! These guys are everywhere here! I won't pay over $2 for one, unless they need rescuing :rolleyes:

Most reactions

Back