Gravel Or Sand?

Tyler Lacroix

Reaction score
Hi, I'm going to have a 56 gallon tank soon and I'm thinking of getting some Cory cats (around 6-7...hopefully). I've read that regular gravel is fine, just that they would be "happier" with sand. I also already have a pleco in my old tank (who'll be moving into the coming new tank) and I'm afraid that the pleco might cause sandstorms here and there(lol). So I was just wondering if it's possible to have half sand/half gravel areas in the tank. Like, one side of sand and one side of gravel (I was even planning on making it look like a mini underwater "beach"). I'm aware that you can't use a UGF with sand, but I'm thinking of putting that under the gravel "zone", and leave the sand as it is. Would this be fine? or should I just stick with 100% sand?

yeah its possible. half sand and half gravel.

Undergaravel filters aren't reccommended. Over time the gravel and sand will mix together and cause an unsightly mixture (unless you use some sort of divider at the boundry :good:

I have actually tried this and it didn't work. It's just impossible to keep the two separate enough.

If you wash your sand so all the lighter particles are got rid of, you shouldn't have a problem. I have a rescued gibbi currently in a sand tank with no issues.

Thanks guys :) I've decided to scrap the gravel and the UGF. Sand all the way :p

I would also recommend using all sand. Just would look better to the eye. After the sand settles your plecostomus won't throw it around. Plus the food is a lot more visible on sand so your fish can find it easier. An under gravel filter isn't recommended in a tank that big, all though I would never use one anyways.

My vote is for sand as well. I recently swapped from gravel to sand and I just love how it looks :D

Most reactions

Back