Gouramis Question

geezer

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi All,

I bought two powder blue gouramis' yesterday. For the past hour, my male gourami has been acting quite bizzare. He is floating at the top of the tank, either vertically or horizontally on it's side. He doesn't seem to be gasping or struggling. He is just floating there. I was just wondering if this is normal behaviour because my other gourami is not doing it. My stats are fine, so I know it's not my water quality. I hope he is not ill because he is quite a striking fish. :(

Thanks for your help in advance,

Geezer

This morning I woke up, and Gordy was lying on the bottom of the tank. Guess it was unusual behaviour because now he is dead. :( Well, his death is a mystery as the other three are fine and I am well and truly gutted.

sorry to hear that geezer..

also sorry no-one seemed to give you any advice while he was floating.

He may have been injured where you got him. Or he may have had some weird disease or infection. I guess you'll never know. Also sorry noone gave you advice before he passed.

I figured it was to late to say anything so didn't post earlier but, by the sounds of it, your gourami died as a result of some kind of shock as its death was so rapid - perhaps the change in pH or temperature was too drastic and he was already stressed from the move/disease (internal bacterial infections are particularly common in dwarfs) so he couldn't survive and died. Next time you're adding fish, take the time to check your water parameters, perhaps do a water change just before obtaining them and make sure you acclimatise new additions gradualy by adding tankw ater slowly to the bag water.

Note. BTW, that dwarfs (like other gouramies) do better kept as trios (1 male, 2 females) as opposed to being kept in pairs (where the tendency is for one to become dominant and bully the other constantly). They also do well singly as they are quite territorial fish and like having room to themselves. I see you have 3 currently - just make sure that the males don't outnumber the females or that, if they are all male, each has at least 10 gallons to itself so they can establish clearly seperate territories. New additions to your tank, BTW, may also be attacked by your existing fish (another possible cause of death) as, if your established dwarfs are male, they'll view new males as 'intruders' and try to chase them away/kill them.

Most reactions

Back