Gouramis - More Than One?

FreshwaterFish

Reaction score
More than one type of Gourami?

At the moment I have a 60Litre glass aquarium and am looking into buying some Gouramis - I know that you shouldn't have 2 males together?
But how about one honey gourami and one dwarf gourami, can these mix? Or is one male and one female fine together of the same species - or will they just breed?

U can have more than one species of gourami as long as the tank is big enough. 1 male to 2-3 female for all gourami.
Stay away from kissing and paradise gourami they do not do well with others.
Make sure u have tons of hiding spots for females and if you plan to breed you'll need floating plants.

Hope this helps :)

I'm thinking about getting a honey gourami to go in my tank with my existing dwarf gourami.

Bumping this thread for more answers. :p

Honey and dwarfs are different species. They will not breed, but since they're similar sizes they might coexist. 15 gallons is pretty small though, avoid two males at all cost. Some females will be aggressive towards other gourami as well, it really depends on the individual fish.

I would not recommend mixing gourami species in such a small tank.
If you already 1 male dwarf gourami, why not get 2 female dwarf gourami?

What would be a suitable tank size? I've got a 155L.

Story to hijack your thread FF :p

What would be a suitable tank size? I've got a 155L.

Story to hijack your thread FF :p
Depends on the Gourami. If it's blue then they could grow up to be 6", which would only leave room in the tank for 6. If you had sparkling or other small gourami that grow up to be 2" you could have 20. However if you have kissing gourami (12"), you would only be able to have 3, which probably might not be a good idea since they're a bit aggressive. And thats just with only gourami in the tank. Depends on how many you want, though anything over 75 liter would be adaquet for just one (or two) so 155 is a pretty good size.

Previous advise is quite bad in my opinion, sorry to be blunt but i feel it is necessary. No way in hell would i dream of keeping 6 six inch fish in a 155L tank. I cannot believe it has been suggested that kissing gourami's should be kept, never mind three of them. I mean, seriously, measure out 12 inches and imagine three fish of this size in a 155L aquarium, not that they would even get to this size before becoming stunted and dying of extremely painful internal organ failure, a slow, torturous death to be sure. The statement that 75 litres or more would be adequate for just one or two does not state specifically which species and is therefore misleading and redundant as it is untrue for many (if not most) gourami's.

FreshwaterFish, I would normally recommend dwarf gourami's like Crossfire but a lot on the market are very weak and prone to dying, we wouldn't want them infecting the healthy male. If however you can source females you are as sure as you can be they are healthy they would make a lovely addition to most tanks.

CezzaXV, we really do need to know more about current stocking before seriously suggesting a fish.

My current stocking is 6 cardinal tetra, 6 trili cories, 1 dwarf gourami and my one remaining guppy which I'm looking to get rid of, plus assorted inverts.

Been to my LFS and looked at the honey gouramis which is definitely what I want, and if my research is correct should only grow to 55mm (less than 2 inches). I've been recommended a group of 4-6 and it'll be a few weeks before the LFS has that many in stock anyway. I asked and was told I shouldn't have to worry too much about aggression from my dwarf, but just keep an eye on it for a little while.

I know LFS advice isn't always reliable but it seems to match up with my previous research. Anyone else have anything else to add to this or reasons I shouldn't add honeys to my tank?

Most reactions

Back