Gouramis And Algae Eater Feeding

ryanwylie

Reaction score
My two thick lipped gouramis were getting bullied by one of my mollies. One had quite a lot of lumps taken out of it dorsal fin and tail and it subsequently died. Also, they wont fight for food when I feed flake or bloodworm and im afraid of them starving.

Also I have two 'Gibxxx' apologies as I can remember their name, they are like a plec, algae eaters with huge dorsal fins. Im trying to feed them on algae wafers but they wont go for it and let the rest of the fish tear away with it. Even when I put a wafer in a hiding place, the smaller fis pull it out and nibble at it.

All help appreciated!

My two thick lipped gouramis were getting bullied by one of my mollies. One had quite a lot of lumps taken out of it dorsal fin and tail and it subsequently died. Also, they wont fight for food when I feed flake or bloodworm and im afraid of them starving.

Also I have two 'Gibxxx' apologies as I can remember their name, they are like a plec, algae eaters with huge dorsal fins. Im trying to feed them on algae wafers but they wont go for it and let the rest of the fish tear away with it. Even when I put a wafer in a hiding place, the smaller fis pull it out and nibble at it.

All help appreciated!

wat size of tank do u have?

and what is the stocking for it?

I got a 110 litre tank, small platys, black neons, mollies,.... in my sig.

ok for starters u really need to find a home for ur 2 gibbiceps plecs as they will easily reach 18inches!

All help appreciated!

wat do u mean they wont fight for food?

are the fish eating?

what are your water parametrs? ie ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,ph

The plecs are only 3 inches long at the moment, but as soon as they reach 5 or 6 they will go to a bigger home.

Most of the fish are eating, but when I feed flake the Gouramis wont swim to the top or to flake that sinks to eat it.

Plecs dont seem to worried about food either.

Havent tested the water since friday, but PH is 7-7.2, cant remember the rest off hand but haveit written down. Will check it tonight.

The plecs are only 3 inches long at the moment, but as soon as they reach 5 or 6 they will go to a bigger home.

Most of the fish are eating, but when I feed flake the Gouramis wont swim to the top or to flake that sinks to eat it.

Plecs dont seem to worried about food either.

Havent tested the water since friday, but PH is 7-7.2, cant remember the rest off hand but haveit written down. Will check it tonight.

ok before we can go any further we will need to get them test results and will have a better idea

any signs of disease?

how long tank been setup?

Tank is set up about 2 months, will post test results tonight.

Ok just tested my water there. The results from last friday till today are:

23/01/2009 PH 7 - 7.2, ammonia 0, nitrite 1, nitrate 5

29/01/2009 PH 7 - 7.2, ammonia 0, nitrite 1, nitrate 5 - 10

I lost 2 small PLATYS yesterday, and another 1 today. I have just noticed this evening that my black moly has a white mouth/lips. Also a swordtail has 2 very small white spots on his body.

I fear the worst now - please help.

I have done a 20% water change twice a week for the past 5 weeks - adding the relevant aquasafe to the new water each time. Also I have got 2 air stones inside ornaments coming on 3 times a day at 2 hour intervals, and a JUWEL air diffuser on the pump outlet. Is too much aeration part of the cause or is this amount ok?

Most reactions

Back