Gouramies

Tyler777

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
A little while back u guys told me in a tank u should have only 1 species of gourami.
I was online yesterday reading bout gouramies n they said Peralta gouramies best tank mates besides their own are dwarf gouramis. Then another website said the opposite. What's the truth ?

There's a lot of bad information online. Dwarf gouramis aren't good tankmates for other gouramis or anabantoids in general.

All labyrinth fishes (Bettas & gouramies) are territorial to some degree and I don't know of any species that live together in the wild. Therefore, they should not be kept together in aquariums either.

All labyrinth fishes (Bettas & gouramies) are territorial to some degree and I don't know of any species that live together in the wild. Therefore, they should not be kept together in aquariums either.
It's worse in aquariums. When two territorial fish meet in the wild, they fight and then the weaker one leaves. In an aquarium, the weaker one can't leave so they fight until one dies.

Somewhere, combining gourami species worked for one person, or didn't but they took a guess and stuck it on the internet. "The truth" would be more the consensus from people who have kept them.
Experience says it is highly unlikely to work. There are always people who get lucky with individual fish, or who think if it works for 2 weeks, it's good. I know pet shop owners who don't like stocking some species of gouramis because if they sell slowly, they take losses. They can be troublesome fish to keep successfully.

I'm guessing your "peraltas' are pearls.

Somewhere, combining gourami species worked for one person, or didn't but they took a guess and stuck it on the internet. "The truth" would be more the consensus from people who have kept them.
Experience says it is highly unlikely to work. There are always people who get lucky with individual fish, or who think if it works for 2 weeks, it's good. I know pet shop owners who don't like stocking some species of gouramis because if they sell slowly, they take losses. They can be troublesome fish to keep successfully.

I'm guessing your "peraltas' are pearls.
That's something people don't understand. The fish in stores are stressed and still acclimating to a new environment. The business model depends on a fairly high turnover rate. That's why they can put a bunch of male dwarf gouramis in the same tank at the store. Like you said, once those fish start to get used to their environment, they want to establish territory. And the battles begin.

Another serious issue is age. A farm wants to move fish out and make space for new 'production' as quickly as they can. With fish like gouramis, the cheaper, less ethical farms will dose them with hormones to rush their colours, and move them out. These are rarely sexually mature fish, and maturity hits in your tank, sometime after purchase.

A mature gourami will see any other mature gourami as a threat to its ability to hold a territory. As far as they're concerned, breeding is their reason for living, and if they have no place for a nest, they doomed to be harassed by every male that does. And so, they hoist their colours and go to war. If it's another species, how that goes depends on how much bigger or smaller the other species is.

A cardinal rule of fishkeeping is to never combine territorial fish that want the same part of the tank. Two bottom breeders, even from different continents, will compete. It's not what the fish is that matters, it's what the two species want.

If you look at a bottom breeding member of the gourami and put it with a Cichlid, it's going to end badly for somebody.

Shoaling fish generally get along, if their size is equal. Never combine two species of any type that have the same territorial needs, unless you are prepared to sacrifice the lives of one of them.

A mature gourami will see any other mature gourami as a threat to its ability to hold a territory. As far as they're concerned, breeding is their reason for living, and if they have no place for a nest, they doomed to be harassed by every male that does. And so, they hoist their colours and go to war. If it's another species, how that goes depends on how much bigger or smaller the other species is.
Hoist the Jolly Roger and lets take them out 🏴‍☠️

Most reactions

Back