Gourami

dusty2

Reaction score
Hi All, I have recently been given a Dwarf Gourami by a friend who bought 2 males but found that they fought all the time. Can I have more than one type of male Gourami in my tank or will they also fight.

Thanks in advance John.

I depends on the size of the tank. If it's big enough for them to establish two seperate territories then they might live peacefully, but it's still risky.

Also males aren't just agressive to other males, they're normally quite agressive to females too.

Agree, which means one of the first orders of business might be to find two female dwarf gouramis to go with him, unless you intend to leave him alone. His color will be all the more beautiful, showing off for these two.

~~waterdrop~~

Sorry to hi-jack thread, but are you better of with 1 male on his own or with 1 male and 2 females, ie would this stop the male forming a territory and fighting the females ?

Only ask as I have the exact same problem and am un-decided which route to go down

I've kept dwarf gourami males in both roles, so I know neither one would necessarily be a disaster but I was young, it was many years ago and not only can I not remember but I probably wasn't even observing very closely at the time.

~~waterdrop~~

I have found dwarf males are always very territorial regardless of the gender of other dwarves.

It's simple, either all females or PLENTY of room for a male to establish a territory.

Most reactions

Back