Gourami With Hole In Head Disease?

Shaucid

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
HI everyone, a few minutes ago I noticed a small white depression on my Opaline Gourami's forehead. Info below.

Tank size: 10 gallons
pH : 7.6
ammonia: 0.50 PPM
nitrite: 1.0 PPM
nitrate: 3 PPM
tank temp: 75F

Fish Symptoms: Not eating, small 3mm diameter white depression on forehead.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 50% every other day.

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: I use Prime as a dechlorinator.

Tank inhabitants: 1 Opaline Gourami, 1 Britlenose Plecostomus

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): Britlenose Plecostomus, Java moss, Moss balls, inert rocks collected from the wild.

Exposure to chemicals: Prime Dechlorinator.

I cannot supply a photo because of camera quality and photobucket not working.

Yes, I know my tank isn't cycled. I'm currently in a fish-in cycle because I got the tank and put a lot of stuff in it before I learned what cycling was.

I'll to a 50% water change for know, any help is appreciated.

I'd do 80% changes every day if I were you, to prevent ammonia NH3/nitrite NO2 poisoning that will worsen the fish's ability to heal and shorten their lifespan. Though hole in the head can be treated with medicine usually found at LFS, keeping the water quality pristine is one of the most beneficial things you can do. I made the same mistake as you a few months ago, but my gourami have pulled through.

OK, I'll do 80% changes, I just need a bigger bucket...

Here's a picture, it's the small depression above the nostrils, it also looks like a scale is frayed.

_IGP3038_zps691beff9.jpg

I'm not going to get medicine until I'm sure that it's Hole in Head Disease and not just a simple scratch.

-Thanks

You could also do two 40% changes every day, that would be less stressful on him. From researching a bit more, that part of the head is commonly afflicted by hole in the head and typically looks like the scales are pulled back, but it's very common in tanks with high nitrates NO3 which you wouldn't have. Perhaps it's possible the gourami became ill in the fish shop and was already succumbing to it when he entered your tank. It's parasitic, and isn't that far along yet. But I wouldn't want him to go too long without eating either.

Ok ok, lets look at it again:
Is there anything sharp that he could have scratched himself on in the tank? Jagged rocks or wood or anything that isn't smooth?
Is his excrement long white and stringy?

You could also do two 40% changes every day, that would be less stressful on him. From researching a bit more, that part of the head is commonly afflicted by hole in the head and typically looks like the scales are pulled back, but it's very common in tanks with high nitrates NO3 which you wouldn't have. Perhaps it's possible the gourami became ill in the fish shop and was already succumbing to it when he entered your tank. It's parasitic, and isn't that far along yet. But I wouldn't want him to go too long without eating either.

Ok ok, lets look at it again:
Is there anything sharp that he could have scratched himself on in the tank? Jagged rocks or wood or anything that isn't smooth?
Is his excrement long white and stringy?

I've had my Gourami since mid october, when I got him he was perfectly healthy and active, and eating well.

All the rocks in the tank are smooth, I have rounded 1cm diameter gravel. The only sharp thing in the tank would be the filter outlet, but I think it's improbable that he scratched it on that.

His excrement is a dark brown color, no stringy white feces.

Update

I tried feeding the Gourami this evening starting with a single spirulina flake, he pecked at it but didn't eat it. He's feeding better since this morning when he didn't even touch frozen bloodworms. He had a good meal of freeze-dried mosquito larvae instead of flakes tonight.

Nothing changed with the spot on the head.

The tanks not in a location that people frequently walk by? Is he easily startled?

Some advice given in this forum is to soak the food in some garlic.

Here is a link with some information on hole-in-the-head disease http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/disease/holeinthehead.php.

By the looks of the photo, your diagnosis could be right but I couldn't say for sure as I've never experienced this disease.

The most important thing you need to do is keep the water pristine. Here is the guide on fish-in cycling: http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/224306-fish-in-cycling/

You need to make sure you have zero readings for ammonia and nitrite at all times, even if it means 90% water changes everyday and testing twice a day.

Dreamer is right about the garlic soaked food, it's supposed to help boost their immune system.

Good luck and keep us updated!

The tanks not in a location that people frequently walk by? Is he easily startled?

The tank is right next to one of my three (yes, three) back doors. The one it's next to used to be the most used but the doorknob broke so we use the other door nearby. Yes, he does get spooked when I do maintenance, mainly flailing in a corner... Also I think may have been what made the mark on his head but I'm not sure. I'll try to not mess with the decor until he recoveres from whatever is wrong.

And thanks for the info KCB, I'll look at those links and work on keeping my water clean.

Oh, and I definitely will try the garlic thing, hopefully that will re-ignite his love for bloodworms.

-Thanks

Most reactions

Back