Gourami Stocking.

Squid

grumpy old man!
Reaction score
NOTE:.. still got my xmas head on. Probably should have put this in the section for gouramis... if a mod see's this could they please do the honours.. cheers.

I have had Dwarf Gourami in the past, where the advice was 1M to 3F. Is this the same with all gourami? (edit.. i meant 1M to 2 F... sorry)

Anyone know of anywhere selling blue gourami in the guildford area?

Cheers & Happy New Year
Squid

I would disagree, the majority of gourami's tend to be quite agressive in my experience, dwarf gourami's are quite peaceful in comparison to most type.
Blue gourami males can grow to be quite agressive and territorial as they mature, so its better to just either have a single female or a group of females. If you keep the males and females together, you run the risk of them spawning, which can make the males quite agressive towards the females or other fish once the eggs have been laid.
Blue, opaline, three spot and gold gourami's are all the same type of gourami, they are just different colour morphs, so all generally have the same requirements and care.
What size is the tank and what other fish do you have that you are planning on keeping the gourami with?

I would disagree, the majority of gourami's tend to be quite agressive in my experience, dwarf gourami's are quite peaceful in comparison to most type.
Blue gourami males can grow to be quite agressive and territorial as they mature, so its better to just either have a single female or a group of females. If you keep the males and females together, you run the risk of them spawning, which can make the males quite agressive towards the females or other fish once the eggs have been laid.
Blue, opaline, three spot and gold gourami's are all the same type of gourami, they are just different colour morphs, so all generally have the same requirements and care.
What size is the tank and what other fish do you have that you are planning on keeping the gourami with?

Thanks for the information... if they are aggressive I am going off the idea,. ;)

Current stocking is:

2 otos
1 BN Plec
5 cardinal tetras
5 pentazona barbs
2 Panda Cory

Cheers
Squid

Most female gourami's are absolutely fine and very peaceful, its just the males you have to be wary about. How many gallons is the tank? Blue, opaline, three spot and gold gourami's all grow to about 5-6inches long.

Most female gourami's are absolutely fine and very peaceful, its just the males you have to be wary about. How many gallons is the tank? Blue, opaline, three spot and gold gourami's all grow to about 5-6inches long.

The tank is 48USG with an eheim 2026 filter, so have some room for more stock, especially if not just bottom swimmers as the barbs and cardinals like the bottom of the tank, with the cardinals maybe slightly higher... My nitrates stay very low, to the point that my plants weren't growing as well, and the algae kicked in a bit. A bit of ferts has sorted that out ;) .

Squid

The tank is 48USG with an eheim 2026 filter, so have some room for more stock, especially if not just bottom swimmers as the barbs and cardinals like the bottom of the tank, with the cardinals maybe slightly higher... My nitrates stay very low, to the point that my plants weren't growing as well, and the algae kicked in a bit. A bit of ferts has sorted that out ;) .

Squid

Any gourami's you have will really appreiciate any dense planting you have, plants that grow all the way up to the top of the tanks surface are also very good. If you have quite sparse planting at the moment, it may be better to avoid getting any gourami's until it has bulked itself out a bit more, but if you are happy with the current state of your planting then i say go for some gourami's :good: .
I personally have a single female opaline gourami, she has a sliver (but slightly blue) mottled body and is a lovely fish. If you go for gourami's i'd either advise a trio or more of females or just a single female :good: .
I don't know much about kissing gourami's, but i would imagine they would be unsuitable for the tank.

I had a pair of dwarf gouramis in my tank but they never got on. The female bullied her mate constantly and he died in the end. I'm convinced her constant prodding and chasing had a profound effect on him in the end - poor little sod - and no comments back from the males on the forum thank you very much! :lol:

Hi most of the shops by me have male and female blue Gouramis its about 40 minutes down the A3 (Fareham). I would stick with females as the males will be quite agressive

Most reactions

Back