Gourami Severe Reaction To Pets Multi Cure

fishermanjo

Reaction score
Oh my gosh. I just put my Pearl Gourami into a hospital tank and added the correct dose of Multi Cure and she instantly starting reacting badly to it, throwing herself on her side and finally on the bottom. The reaction was so severe that I quickly netting her and plopped her back in the main tank away from the chemicals. I have 30 litres of water in the hospital tank and added the required 7.5mls of multi-cure.

I am so upset. Now she's throwing herself around the main 3ft tank and settling on the bottom from time to time.

I'm trying to help her not hurt her. I feel she has some kind of fungus that's eating holes in her fins (not from the tips) and it has eaten about a 10mm patch of scales from her body near her pectoral fin.

Sorry I'm new to this forum and a bit panicked.

Has anyone had this problem with this product before?

:-( She died. I guess she had a heart attack.

I feel so guilty. All I can think is that the fungus had eaten some skin away and the chemical burned and made her panic. Lesson learned. I wish there was a warning for that on the container.

Oh my gosh. I just put my Pearl Gourami into a hospital tank and added the correct dose of Multi Cure and she instantly starting reacting badly to it, throwing herself on her side and finally on the bottom. The reaction was so severe that I quickly netting her and plopped her back in the main tank away from the chemicals. I have 30 litres of water in the hospital tank and added the required 7.5mls of multi-cure.

I am so upset. Now she's throwing herself around the main 3ft tank and settling on the bottom from time to time.

I'm trying to help her not hurt her. I feel she has some kind of fungus that's eating holes in her fins (not from the tips) and it has eaten about a 10mm patch of scales from her body near her pectoral fin.

Sorry I'm new to this forum and a bit panicked.

Has anyone had this problem with this product before?

I'm sorry to hear about your fish. That sounds like the correct dosage. This med contains methylene blue, malachite green and acriflavine. Outside of the malachite green, there is nothing particularly toxic to gourami. I'd suspect the fish was about finished and the stress of catching and moving it pushed it over the edge and it could never catch its breath again. The surging and then falling to the floor are common when a fish is very near death. I think they come to, race around in a panic trying to find better oxygenation while depleting what little oxygen they have in their blood and then they black out again. They repeat this a few times then usually expire with one last surge to the top. It appears that if the fish sits very still and pumps its gills, then they can hang on for a while longer, but as soon as they exert themselves they expire. I suspect it was just too late to help it.

Thanks for your reply afremont. I've only just seen it.
I agree with what you said although the one thing I did notice was that she seemed to cope ok with the move and in the new tank. But once I added the medicine she freaked out. Also she hadn't been behaving particularly unwell until then.

Oh well, I will just be extra cautious of that stuff from now on.

Thanks for your reply afremont. I've only just seen it.
I agree with what you said although the one thing I did notice was that she seemed to cope ok with the move and in the new tank. But once I added the medicine she freaked out. Also she hadn't been behaving particularly unwell until then.

Oh well, I will just be extra cautious of that stuff from now on.

I suppose that the meds could have lowered the dissolved oxygen, there seem to be quite a few that will. Or at least the manufacturers often recommend adding more aeration with various meds. Do you think that might have had anything to do with it?

Did you dissolve the med in water first before puttin it in the tank? Maybe you over dosed it :/

Most reactions

Back