Gourami Looking Sorry For Himself...

clairebearblue

Reaction score
I got some small Opaline and Golden Gourami on sunday and when I got them home I noticed that one of the Opalines left eye had a cloudy patch on it and his left feeler also is a fair big shorter than the right. I got my dad (who has been keeping fish for over 30 years) to have a look at it and he said the fish had probably just been damaged when he was younger and grew that way because the fish was showing no other signs of illness and to keep an eye on it.

So I left the fish to try and settle in but he isnt. The cloudy patch on his eye is smaller than it was and is now quite transparent and hardly noticeable, in the very centre of his pupil. He spends all his time in a top corner of the tank hiding behind either the filter or powerhead. He comes out to eat a little once he realises theres food about but thats about all he does.

His breathing is more noticable than that of the other fish but he is not gasping at the surface. He is staying upright, not laying on his side at all.

Due to him being the weakest some of the fish have been fin nipping him too which isnt helping the matter and he now looks quite sorry for himself. He does manage to swim away from them once they take the first bite though, he doesnt sit there helpless.

All other fish in the tank are healthy.

I am now thinking this is not just a deformaty but some kind of infection. What does everyone else think?

How many gallons is the tank.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.
How long did you climatise the new fish for.
Any signs of flicking and rubbing.
Any excess mucas on gills or body of fish.
Does he look pale or darker in colour.
Does he look bloated or thin.
Any white specs behind the lens of the eye.
Is the eye bulging out.

Cloudy eye is a symtom of a desease not a desease in its own right.
Causes.
Bad water quality.
Stress.
Injury.
Bad diet.
Parasites.
Bacterial.
Irratation.

Most reactions

Back