Good for algae

tangeriiine

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
what are good algae eaters that would fit in my 15G(UK) tank? i cant think...(oh and that arent really expensive?) wot do u recommend? :/

One of the smaller bristlenose plecs (ancistrus sp.) or ottos.

Both excellect algae eaters. (the ancistrus need meaty foods & wood as well)

cool there small i dont want sumthing fat and bulky (which plec seem to look like) cos itll probably get stuck inside one of my castles hahaha! ottos sound cool...do u need more than 1?

tangeriiine said:
cool there small i dont want sumthing fat and bulky (which plec seem to look like) cos itll probably get stuck inside one of my castles hahaha! ottos sound cool...do u need more than 1?
Oto's like to be in groups, as they can get a bit loaning i think.

Get about 3 or something, there resonably cheap anything from, £1.80-£5.00.

Yeah 3 otocinclus should sort it....they are £1.99 round here. Remember to supplement their diet if it looks like they've eaten all the algae.

Bristlenose catfish are just SO cute and fun to watch sucking the glass - stick on fish!

I had two otos in my 5 gallon which I rehoused to my 75 gallon when the filter died in the five gallon. I decided to keep them there since they are so happy. The two of them seem fine together and they do hang out together. Not only are they good little workers, they are amusing to watch as they slide across the tank glass in unison.

Red said:
Bristlenose catfish are just SO cute and fun to watch sucking the glass - stick on fish!
I gotta agree with Red on that. We got them at the same time. The three little beautys I got have done a great job in my small tank of cleaning algae.

;)

I gotta back up the ottos I'm afraid. I have a bristlenose in one of my tanks, and he does a good job of cleaning algae, but I got 6 ottos yesterday, as the tank I put them in was covered in algae, and not really enough room for a bristlenose, plus I didn't really want a plec in that tank. Anyway, as soon as I let them out of the bag, they went to work, and in about 6 hours had practically munched all the algae off the glass!! excellent workers!!

I need an algae eater, don't think I would be able to have ottos with my 2 GSPs, could I have a pleco, and if so what kind of price are they. Any other suggestions?

Its a 20gal.

Most reactions

Back