Good Filter For A 5 Gallon Tank

rebrn

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi I have a 5 gallon Aqueon bowfront tank. The filter that came with the tank sucks. It is just a very basic filter (mechanical filter only - carbon pad), I would like a better filter for the tank. I will be housing a single betta fish, so I would need eithor a low flow filter or a filter where I can adjust the flow. I would love to have a filter that has a biological filter if possible. Any ideas of a good filter for this tank?

A sponge filter is probably your best bet. It will provide more than enough bio-filtration for a 5g. And since its a betta tank, I assume you will be doing frequent WC, which will take care of the mech filtration.

Well, I found one. It is an Aqua Clear 20. It has a three stage filtration with adjustable flow - 100 to 33 gph. On the low setting virtually no current is produced (well very little current) should be great for the Betta when the tank is finished cycling and my danio really likes the current on high :lol: So far so good with this filter, only just installed today. The good news was it was fairly inexpensive ... around $30 US and the replacement filters are dirt cheap $2. So if anyone is looking for a realitively inexpensive filter with minimal maintaince costs for a smaller tank (5 gallon is the minimum for this filter) check out the AquaClear series.

I didn't realize you were in the US or I would have suggested that filter myself. (though it may prove a bit much)
AquaClear are by far one of the best filters on the market, though unfortunately it isn't available to our friends in the UK. LOL

Try one of Tetra's filters, such as the Whisper 10 in-tank filter, about $14 US. It does not have too strong of an output, so it won't stress your fish. A better option would be Tetra's 10 gallon power filter, about $18 US. It provides mechanical, chemical, and biological filtration - the three necessary stages in a filter.

If I recall correctly, the AC has sponge type filter media in it so you need never change that part, just rinse it out in used tank water. By comparison, the Whisper filters that I have, with nothing but disposable cartridges, are not very good in actual use. They look very easy to maintain but, if you follow the maintenance directions, you throw out the biofilter every month or so and get to start over.

If I recall correctly, the AC has sponge type filter media in it so you need never change that part, just rinse it out in used tank water. By comparison, the Whisper filters that I have, with nothing but disposable cartridges, are not very good in actual use. They look very easy to maintain but, if you follow the maintenance directions, you throw out the biofilter every month or so and get to start over.

that is correct. (for the most part)
the sponge filter needs only to be rinsed in some tank water when you do your WC, then you just put it right back in the filter. you will need to replace the sponge every 5 years or so. my oldest AC110 is about 9 years old now, and the sponge has been replaced only once.

my only concern is that eve with the adjustable flowrate, it may bee too much for your beta. but this would be true with any HOB style filter. this leave you with a couple of options. you can fashion some kind of diffuser near the slide portion of the filter, or you can use some kind of plants or decor inside the tank inder the slide return to diffuse the output that way. but even as is, if you were to put the filter to one side of the tank, and it did disturb the beta, it can easily swim to the other side of the tank.

Well, I found one. It is an Aqua Clear 20. It has a three stage filtration with adjustable flow - 100 to 33 gph. On the low setting virtually no current is produced (well very little current) should be great for the Betta when the tank is finished cycling and my danio really likes the current on high :lol: So far so good with this filter, only just installed today. The good news was it was fairly inexpensive ... around $30 US and the replacement filters are dirt cheap $2. So if anyone is looking for a realitively inexpensive filter with minimal maintaince costs for a smaller tank (5 gallon is the minimum for this filter) check out the AquaClear series.
No Problem..I should have specified US gallons sorry about that.

Yes, the AquaClear 20 (previously called the AquaClear Mini) is what we have for our 5.5G quarantine tank. Its the perfect size. It has a good sponge down in there and you can add a bit more loose biomedia beyond the few ceramics pieces they give you in the media kit.

I agree the flow may feel a bit strong and the simple flow change method may not make enough difference but I've learned from OM47's and others posts that bettas are better off getting a bit of exercise anyway and the more important thing would be to figure out a way to provide them with some areas of the tank farther away from the filter output stream where they can go to take a rest and relax. A 5G should provide enough space for you to make this happen, it just might be that you'd want to enhance it with plants and/or decorations. A well thought out decoration can provide a screen from the circulation and give a betta a nice little calm place.

~~waterdrop~~

Just to add to the comment about the Tetra Whisper PF 10. I use in my 10-gallon betta tank which has a female betta in it. The current is too strong and I had to put foam around the intake and out take to keep the water moving slowly. IMO, it's too strong for anything less than a 10 gallon. I'd never stick it in with my 5-gallon/betta set up.

I just bought the Red Sea Nano for my 5-gallon. It's suppose to be for a 3 or less gallon, but since my betta has very long fins, I thought I'd try it and it's flow is still slightly too strong, so I think it may be best for my fish (the slowest I could get). I stuffed tons of media foam around it to slow it down AND to help collect additional ben. bacteria.

the ac20 is perfect for a 5g, just maybe too strong for a beta. but, idk, i think it will still be ok

Most reactions

Back