Good bottom feeders?

Rhys19

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I am in need of a bottom feeder right now I only have kuhli loaches for eating food off the bottom, the tank is 30 gallons
Clown loaches are a no-no since they 1 need to be in a group of at least 6 and 2 they get way too big for 30 gallons!

What about a rainbow shark? I do love them their cool but I can only get 1 and that would be the max since again it's only 30 gallons I am however getting a 160 Gallon next year so hopefully I can do more then but for now, I am looking for any bottom feeders.

I have a peppered cory and a Bushynose pleco in my 29 gallon tank at the moment. I know I should add several more cories to make a proper stocking. They search out any residual food that ends up on the substrate. What is your hardness level? Most cories prefer neutral to acidic hardness levels for longest life.

I have 6 Kuhli loach and they're out all of the time.
I take the points about corys and would suggest the Pygmy Cory. These are great for scavenging the ground cover, but they don't restrict themselves to the lower reaches, spreading themselves out through the tank like little bees. They're also quite bold and not intimidated by larger fish.

Red Cherry Shrimp would also be an option for you.

I know that brisle nose plecos are ugly, but they add a lot of character to the tank. There's a big debate on what size tank you need for a brisle nose pleco but I think 25 gallons minimum for your fish to be happy. Another one would be cory catfish. They are a great addition to your tank. There my top 2 preferences but I'll give you a list if them all.

Otos

Pygy cory catfish.

Brisle nose pleco.

Cory catfish.

Moth catfish (the temperature may be hard to handle with one of these I wouldn't get one)

In this small (to the fish) a tank, I would leave the kuhlii loaches on their own, assuming you have a group (which they need of course). Rainbow shark or any of the "shark" species is not advisable, aside from tank size (too small as I think you realize). Cories might work, though not advisable with loaches but kuhliis are less of an issue for this. I certainly would not get pygmy cories though, unless the loaches are removed.

There should not be food on the bottom, you may be overfeeding. Snails will deal with this, if the excess food is necessary due to the upper fish. For example, in my 29g Amazon blackwater tank I have to feed more than I normally would in order to ensure the Marble Hatchetfish get something, the other fish (pencilfish and tetras) are faster at eating, so some excess does get to the substrate but the group of pygmy cories cannot deal with this.

I love the bristlenose plecs! the bristles are so cool! some other people might disagree but not me!
I also love catfish because of the whiskers they have 🤣 kinda weird but it's their also cool when they move around! so cory catfish huh? not sure if I've found them here yet I'll save up some $$$ and go to my expensive LFS (Tropical World Pets) They are the best fish store I've seen so far they are so dedicated in fish keeping that they even have their own tank with like 6 or 7 loaches (Not for sale tank obviously) and their freaking huge!!!

but their expensive AF so that's why I have to save up money I mean 1 clown loach goes for $49.99 and that's for a basically a baby one! and for a small Bristle pleco it's like $59.99 but the baby ones I think are around $10.99

their expensive but it'll be worth it if they really take care of their fish!

In this small (to the fish) a tank, I would leave the kuhlii loaches on their own, assuming you have a group (which they need of course). Rainbow shark or any of the "shark" species is not advisable, aside from tank size (too small as I think you realize). Cories might work, though not advisable with loaches but kuhliis are less of an issue for this. I certainly would not get pygmy cories though, unless the loaches are removed.
I have 2 kuhli loaches and want to get more but I'm saving money rn as for cories I think I might look at them.

if I save up for a bristlenose pleco at my actual LFS (World Tropical Pets) and not said "Petco, Petsmart" AKA Big Box Store should I give my common back or put it in my dad's tank that's like 160 Gallons? of course once he has it all cycled ;)

I have 2 kuhli loaches and want to get more but I'm saving money rn as for cories I think I might look at them.

if I save up for a bristlenose pleco at my actual LFS (World Tropical Pets) and not said "Petco, Petsmart" AKA Big Box Store should I give my common back or put it in my dad's tank that's like 160 Gallons? of course once he has it all cycled ;)

Provide what the current fish need before getting any other species. Another three kuhlii to have five would be in their best interests, and frankly that should be in your best interests too.

Most reactions

Back