Good Beginner Corals

weezawoo

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
I have been looking at some easy corals to start off with in my tank. I have a list of some and wondered if someone can say yay or nay to how easy/good they are or if they are a pain as they spread too quick etc anything is useful!

So here goes:
Leather Corals:
sinularia - finger leather
lobophytum - cabbage leather
sarcophyton - toadstools

Mushrooms
rhodactis
ricordia
discosoma

button polpys - zoanthus

xenia
pachyclavularia - star polyps

Also does anyone have any frags of these for sale I could purchase in the future or produce a small frag for me? Not worried about size as I want to see my tank go from nothing to something!

Also any helpful advice and tips on these is awesome!

Thanks all!

:good:

I have been looking at some easy corals to start off with in my tank. I have a list of some and wondered if someone can say yay or nay to how easy/good they are or if they are a pain as they spread too quick etc anything is useful! Hello again!

Leather Corals:
sinularia - finger leather Yep
lobophytum - cabbage leather Yep
sarcophyton - toadstools Yep but will sulk if its not happy!

Mushrooms:
rhodactis yeh
ricordia not just yet, can be sensitive to water pars
discosoma yeh
button polpys - zoanthus yeh
xenia yeh but its hit and miss
pachyclavularia - star polyps yeh but i have found these hit and miss, and VERY sulky

Also does anyone have any frags of these for sale I could purchase in the future or produce a small frag for me? Not worried about size as I want to see my tank go from nothing to something! i dont personally but mailordercorals sell good frags as does ebay
Also any helpful advice and tips on these is awesome! they are all pretty easy to care for and are forgiving to water fluxs. Good choices, prob best to start with a toadstall or finger and move on to the mushrooms, but it doesnt really matter too much!
Thanks all!

:good:

Hope that helps!

It does help thank you :)

i will check them later! Though if anyone has any i can know they should be good!

I am going to try some xenia from happygeorge also, see what it does in my tank!

It does help thank you :)

i will check them later! Though if anyone has any i can know they should be good!

I am going to try some xenia from happygeorge also, see what it does in my tank!

Those coral are good choices to start off with. Bear in mind Xenia WILL sulk and won't start pulsing for a day or two.
They will need to be placed high up but not directly under light if you know what I mean and they like low to moderate flow.

If you move a powerhead or move the Xenia to another position it will once again sulk for a while.

HG will sort you a decent frag of Xenia but beware it does grow quick and give it a few months it will be all over your tank.
Mine has been in about a month and it's already shot up and spread.........but I love the stuff.

As for Zoas these don't grow as quick but when placing them keep in mind that they will need to be away from other coral as Zoas can sting and fight for territory.
They are also very hardy, even if you move them around the tank they settle quickly but remember not to touch them with tour bare hands as they carry a paleotoxin.

Checkout the pinned coral thread as it's full of advice on various coral and it was this that I used to pick what coral I wanted. I've gone for easy to keep photosynthetic coral only and there's quite a selection.
Your posts are flying up! Lol

Thank you! This will all be written in my book of tips and info :)

i dont know one coral from the next atm haha so thought if i get a general list i can research those more!

Without becoming preachy :ninja: chilli corals are great for popping into dark corners and all they need is the occasional feed. Easy :)

Without becoming preachy :ninja: chilli corals are great for popping into dark corners and all they need is the occasional feed. Easy :)

I knew it was only a matter of time before 'sorg the gorg' tried to turn to you to the dark salty side of the force! *paste emperors laugh here*

:) slowly trying to turn you all :ninja:

That said chillis are really easy to look after.

My tank is quite new at 10 weeks old. I have a finger coral, mushrooms, torch coral, hammer coral and a kenya tree. All are doing well and open up each and everyday. Oh and also a gorg of some sort. All seem to be growing and i only have 2 x 39w T5s at the mo for lighting. So can highly recommend the corals i have at the moment.

Your gorg is a photosynthetic one Chris, I did ID it but I forgot what I said :)

Any photosynthetic gorgs will be fine aswell, If you find yourself on the south coast give me a shout and I will frag a bit of mine.

Your gorg is a photosynthetic one Chris, I did ID it but I forgot what I said :)

Any photosynthetic gorgs will be fine aswell, If you find yourself on the south coast give me a shout and I will frag a bit of mine.

You ID'd it as a Eunicea Succinea :) seems to be really happy and has grown in the month or two i have had it :)

I quite like those chilli corals shame my LFS does not stock any half decent corals I also like sun corals.

Not too keen on chillis myself [sorry sorg] but love the sun coral. I wouldnt have one tho as I can't be asked feeding it everyday!

Right you might be able to persuade me Sorgan, IF it means less electricity bills :D haha!

So on another note, how do you feed corals? I am still really struggling to look at them differently than my plants :S

Most reactions

Back