Good afternoon all

Firefly101

Reaction score
Good afternoon all, my name is Simon and I am a London firefighter , 49 years old. I used to keep tropical fish in my teens and now my daughter is nearly a teenager I have bought another tank for her to show her what it is like. So far we are both loving it. I bought a Fluval flex 34l. and have done a few mods on it. It currently houses one white opal betta, 5 neon tetra and 2 Amano shrimp and all going well. My only issue is that I can’t find a good digital light timer to help with light cycles. If anyone here has any suggestions I would greatly appreciate your advice.

Attachments

• IMG_1275.jpeg
    IMG_1275.jpeg
    235 KB · Views: 21
Hello. You don't really need a timer. Set an alarm on your phone to 6 am and 6 pm. Then, just manually turn the light on and off. Can't be a lot of work, you only have one tank. If you really want a timer, look at the Hyper Tough product. Very inexpensive and works well.

Yeah, it’s not so easy when I’m working shift work. Sometimes I have to work overtime due to emergencies so it would just be nice to know that the tank is running at some sort of normality. My daughter does do a good job while I’m not at home

I did buy an analog timer, but for some reason it didn’t work with my flex. From the research I have done, I haven’t found anything that is compatible apart from Nicrew, which have stopped selling them… 😂

Welcome to the forum, Simon... :hi:
Nowadays there are timers that you can control by an app on your phone. But I don't know the brands in the UK.

Welcome!
Every light I've ever had was either programmable in its own right (like the Fluval Aquasky, which is really fun to set up) or will work with a simple analog timer. I like the outdoor ones with a cable, like the one pictured below, because they don't take up as much room on a power strip. Any hardware or home store should have them.

I am puzzled about why the one you have doesn't work with your light. Can you tell us more about that?
71zV9gGpZgL.__AC_SX300_SY300_QL70_FMwebp_.jpg

Last edited:
I had a light malfunction, and no longer work with the phone. It reverted to 24 hours on each time, no matter how I set it. So I reset it to manual, and with that, it worked with an old school timer. You could try that.

Most reactions

Back