Golfish

ryan422

Reaction score
I bought 3 small goldfish from the fish shop abut 3 weeks ago,
i didnt realise untill they were let in the tank with the other two that they have white spots on there fins,
i did leave it for a few days to see if it would clear up,
but it spread to them all and now they all have white spots on there fins (some not as bad)
I thought they must have white spot, i treated the water with the correct stuff, but they still have the spots and they have not cleared up, and one of my older goldfish is acting odd, sitting at the bottom of the tank, does anyone else know what they may have? or how to cure it properly?

Ryan

Which fins are the spots on?
If its just the front fins then maybe breeding stars but if on the tail and other fins and looks like salt grains then it probably is white spot.
What did you treat them with?
You need to give more info on your tank as well.
Gallonage (us or uk)
Filtration and what temperature is it?

The best way to cure whitespot is by raising the temperature to 82f and adding extra air. Whitespot doesnt like the heat.
Another way is 1 teaspoon of aquarium salt per gallon to give you .1%, then the same again 12 hours later to get to .2% and again 12 hours later to give you .3%
Dont add salt though if you have anything other than goldfish and have lots of plants.

When adding medication from a bottle you need to switch off any overhead light the tank has and remove carbon from the filter.

Dont use the meds and salt together.

The spots are on, the tail fins only.

they were treated with WSP, (whitespot and parasite cure, made by the aquarium doctor.)

Not sure on how many gallons the tank is, but perhaps you would know if i told u the measurements,
Its a complete square of a foot long by foot wide and a foot depth.
30 cm X 30 cm X 30 cm

It has a filter behind a plastic wall inside the tank, there is no heater it is at room teperature.

There are no real life plants, in the tank.

They came from the shop, with the spots, and passed it on two my other 2, but one of my original ones died last night.

The rest are still happy and swimming around.

Ryan

Most reactions

Back