Goldfish

raptorrex

Inactive
Reaction score
as a tropical keepr i have always wondered why goldfish need so much water, 10g per fish. i have assumed that it is because of the amount of waste they produce, making it nessessary to have lots of water to dilute the waste to give the filter a chance to clean it up. of do they just need room to swim?

Goldfish can grow very large and produce a lot of waste, some varieties are also very active and need a decent amount of space to exercise about in too etc. The 20gal for the first goldy and 10gals for every one after that is only a rule of thumb and only applies to fancy goldfish (which are generally a lot less active and not as large growing as non-fancy variety goldfish), with non-fancy/slim bodied goldfish you are looking at a 75-100gallon minimum for the first goldfish :nod: .

Goldfish can grow very large and produce a lot of waste, some varieties are also very active and need a decent amount of space to exercise about in too etc. The 20gal for the first goldy and 10gals for every one after that is only a rule of thumb and only applies to fancy goldfish (which are generally a lot less active and not as large growing as non-fancy variety goldfish), with non-fancy/slim bodied goldfish you are looking at a 75-100gallon minimum for the first goldfish :nod: .

ok thank!!! :good:

lol good video i know how that feels after winning a fish at the fair years ago

that is so sad :(
The other two probably died...

Paw Paw, I think the fish was only put back in the tank to demonstrate the point. I don't think he lived in there the whole time.

Most reactions

Back