Goldfish

Apollosungod

Reaction score
hi all i've had fish for a while but i am just getting started with gold fish does any one have any tips?
I have a black moor and a fancy will they breed?
sorry in advance if what i say sounds silly i've only had livebears before. :D

Goldfish do interbreed with each other but picking a male and female is really hard when they are small.
Get a 20 gallon tank with a filter that houses a lot of bio media.

Yep, and an important thing to remember with goldfish is that they need lots of variation in their diet. Pay particular attention to avoiding food that floats like flake foods. If they take in too much air it can lead to swimbladder diseases. A basic pellet food (or a flake food if you soak it so that it sinks) is great as a staple, but they also like to have frozen bloodworm (what fish doesn't?) and plenty of veggies. Good veggies to feed them are blanched spinach, blanched courgette and cooked shelled peas that you've smooshed gently between your fingers. They also really like the spirulina tablets from Nutrafin that stick to the side of the glass... they are great because you can watch the fish nibbling at them ^_^.
Expect your little fishies to grow quickly, it's amazing how big they get in a short space of time. Mine doubled in size in a year. Growth rates are variable though, so don't worry if they take longer or less time. Good luck with your fish! Goldfish really are so under-rated... they have loads of character.

If you are wanting a tank for life, I would tend towards a 30 gallon tank as fancy golfish get BIG and produce a lot of waste. Breeding goldfish successfully can be difficult but it can be done with mature ones. If you only have a 20gall I would go for one goldfish and maybe peppered cories or weather loaches.

:)

Most reactions

Back