Goldfish As Prizes. Discussion

micko

drive it like you stole it.
Reaction score
Please DO NOT turn this thread into an argument as I don't want it to be locked.
I think it would be a good idea to see what other peoples views are on the subject.

Anyways, today we were at a fair, well known here in Northern Ireland and there were around 5 or 6 stalls, that I seen giving goldfish as prizes. I know this used to be common practice but thought this was now banned, seems not. So the kids wanted a go, they wanted the fish, to take it out of its 40ltr, unfiltered plastic tub with over 40 other in there. They said to me that we could give the fish they "won" a better home, this is true. But my feelings were torn. Yes, we would give it a better home but would also be adding an extra sale to the stall holder, which means more business, which means he can continue to do this. He was also selling "fish boxes" at an extra £7, a standard butter tub would hold more than it.
I really don't want to get into the ins and outs of its wrong, they shouldn't do it because I'm sure everyone on this forum, well, hopefully everyone would think that it shouldn't be done.

I didn't get one, I didn't want to line the mans pockets, although I'm sorry to report that I seen over 50 children carrying these "fish boxes" over a time of around 4 hours.

What would you do?

IMO you did the right thing. Some people might look at it in the fact that they're "saving" a fish but all it does is promote the continuation of this activity. Things that are alive should never be given as a prize because of the impulse of it and probable lack of knowledge on how to care for it once it's in their possession. It's just dead wrong and totally irresponsible to give the fish away to people who probably don't know how to properly care for it in the first place. That's how some people end up on the forum. "Uh, I have this fish, now what?"

My sister won a goldfish at the fair a couple of months ago she just came home with it! Thank goodness she didnt buy one of the tiny bowls they offered her. The poor fish is about a inch long and gobbled up food like it hadnt eaten in a week, its belly was hollow but it is filled out nicely now. He is currently in a 60 litre biorb which has been set up for 2yrs with my other small fancy gold fish. I shall be upgrading the tank as soon as possible. I dread to think where the others ended up probably not in a filtered tank like mine is. I dont agree with them being sold as prizes wish there was way to stop it!

My sister won a goldfish at the fair a couple of months ago she just came home with it! Thank goodness she didnt buy one of the tiny bowls they offered her. The poor fish is about a inch long and gobbled up food like it hadnt eaten in a week, its belly was hollow but it is filled out nicely now. He is currently in a 60 litre biorb which has been set up for 2yrs with my other small fancy gold fish. I shall be upgrading the tank as soon as possible. I dread to think where the others ended up probably not in a filtered tank like mine is. I dont agree with them being sold as prizes wish there was way to stop it!

its one of those things that wont be stopped until there is actual legislation against it.

its a bum deal.

According to this article I found it is illegal and has been for some while but I'm not sure about N.I. but then again they are part of the UK so it should still stand, anyway legal or illegal its wrong.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-365484/Giving-child-goldfish-land-jail.html

Havnt seen this in a fair for years, I think if you know nothing about fishkeeping and you are of a certain age lol, then you wouldnt see the harm in it cos it has been something that went on for years, But as soon as you know a bit and realise its quite cruel then your ideas change, I belive its really just ignorance of the harm it does, when i was a kid i went to fairs and came home with goldfish, that we put in a bucket and mum always told me they swam off, (probably down the loo while i was asleep she was never one for pets) it didnt occur to me it was cruel, when i first started keeping fish i was astonished at all the things i didnt know, and i look back and feel awful lol.

I think it should be banned. How many people do you know set up a "proper" tank days before the fair, then when they win the fish go home and put them in the tank, nobody I know. For the $ you pay to actually win, you could buy over a dozen feeder fish at the store, it's all a money making gimmick kids don't understand. As a kid I won goldfish, most died before I even got home! 2 lived and I put them in an aquarium but they only lived for a few weeks. Most fish die from oxygen loss, being shook too hard, or killed by kids as a cruel prank. No live animals should be sold at fairs!

If you have a proper tank and come across someone who doesn't want their fish, and you'll care for it, go for it, but dont be the one winning the fish.

We have bettas sold here now in bowls those now became prizes it's sickening!

Most reactions

Back