Golden nugget

Fizzle1785

Reaction score
I have read all over how difficult GNs are to keep but I’ve had this for about a month and all seems to be going okay. I’ve also read they don’t really eat algae. Is that wrong? I rotate shrimp pellets, blood worms, vegetables and other fish foods but I’ve never seen him eating these, I have only seen him eating the algae. I hardly ever see him to begin with and I know they’re nocturnal and shy. Is he eating algae as a last resort? Or am I worrying about nothing?
GN eating

Last edited:
Golden Nugget Plecos mainly eat algae, I have had several different plecos and some grew large but all the ones I had ate algae.

Last edited:
Thank you for reply. That’s awesome to hear that. I was worrying that perhaps he was just hungry and thus eating what was available. This is my first GN but from what I’ve read it seems like algae wasn't their favorite. But again I have no idea what he actually eats throughout the night and when I’m not watching.

Most of my plecos would hide too if they could. Most would just lay there quietly most of the time. They grew to around 8-10 inches.

There is a lot more "food" aside from algae that the fish is eating in the video. Here is an excerpt from a profile I wrote a few years ago that will explain.

Diet
In its habitat, this fish is a grazer of biofilms known as aufwuchs on submerged rock and stone, eating crustaceans, insect larvae, algae, etc. The aquarium diet must consist of some protein foods such as live or frozen bloodworms, brine shrimp, daphnia, and vegetables like yams, zucchini, etc. Also basic sinking prepared foods. This fish has a high metabolic rate, and regular multiple feedings are preferable, along with a good biofilm mat on all surfaces. Planet Catfish recommends home-made paste foods using fish meal, shrimp and similar, vegetables and fruits bound together by gelatin.​

Thank you Byron. I’ve seen lots of people talking about the repashy fish gel. Is that something you’re familiar with or recommend? I believe I am feeding him sufficiently but as always I appreciate all advice and in put.

I’ve fed frozen and dried blood worms, sinking shrimp pellets, sera catfish wafers, sera sinking immunopro mini pellets. Also green beans and zucchini. I asked a LFS employee what the nutritional difference between shrimp and bloodworms would be and they said one is a worm and one is a shrimp. :eek:

Thank you Byron. I’ve seen lots of people talking about the repashy fish gel. Is that something you’re familiar with or recommend? I believe I am feeding him sufficiently but as always I appreciate all advice and in put.

I have never used (or even seen locally) the Repashy so I won't say yea or nay.

I’ve fed frozen and dried blood worms, sinking shrimp pellets, sera catfish wafers, sera sinking immunopro mini pellets. Also green beans and zucchini. I asked a LFS employee what the nutritional difference between shrimp and bloodworms would be and they said one is a worm and one is a shrimp. :eek:

You are probably doing well now. Bloodworms should only be fed once a week, never more for any fish; they are not nutritional and they do have negative aspects (I think someone once told me the fat plus lack of real nutrition). Shrimp is much better.

You are probably doing well now. Bloodworms should only be fed once a week, never more for any fish; they are not nutritional and they do have negative aspects (I think someone once told me the fat plus lack of real nutrition). Shrimp is much better.
I’ll be buying shrimps tomorrow morning thank you! Are brine shrimp restricted as well? I had been doing bloodworms every 3-4 days so about 2x a week but I will cut that down. Appreciate all the help. Also I removed the tetras from this aquarium from your help on earlier posts. Unfortunately they went back to the LFS but it’s better than suffering in hot water

I’ll be buying shrimps tomorrow morning thank you! Are brine shrimp restricted as well? I had been doing bloodworms every 3-4 days so about 2x a week but I will cut that down. Appreciate all the help. Also I removed the tetras from this aquarium from your help on earlier posts. Unfortunately they went back to the LFS but it’s better than suffering in hot water

Shrimp are fine. A varied diet is always a good idea, as it ensures a rounded nutrition. You might have a look at the Omega One Veggie round; one benefit of this is the whole fish/shrimp, rather than meal.

Shrimp are fine. A varied diet is always a good idea, as it ensures a rounded nutrition. You might have a look at the Omega One Veggie round; one benefit of this is the whole fish/shrimp, rather than meal.
Actually, I see what you’re saying. I will definitely invest in these. Thanks Byron.

Last edited:
Actually, I see what you’re saying. I will definitely invest in these. Thanks Byron.

Yes, from my examination of the ingredients, I would use the Omega One over the Sera. Cut back on the bloodworms. And avoid freeze-dried foods over high quality flake/pellet/sinking foods.

Most reactions

Back