Gold shark

fishfight

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I saw a fish that was hilarious. It had a long slender body, and two big eyes. It was labeled "gold shark" although only one of them was gold. The rest were silver. Looked almost like a tadpole. Does anyone have info on this fish? Will it be good in a community tank? :thumbs:

It's an albino of probably either Red-Tailed Black Sharks, Rainbow sharks or perhaps a catfish like a Colombian although I'm kinda doubtful as all three are usually wild caught and albinos are practically non-existant in the wild.

Got a scientific name or anything more to go on?

Teelie said:
It's an albino of probably either Red-Tailed Black Sharks, Rainbow sharks or perhaps a catfish like a Colombian although I'm kinda doubtful as all three are usually wild caught and albinos are practically non-existant in the wild.

It would be difficult to catch redtailed and rainbow sharks from the wild since they have been confirmed as extinct outside of the aquatics hobby.

I have seen Leptobarbus hoovenii (aka cigar shark) labled as gold sharks before.

CFC said:
Teelie said:

It would be difficult to catch redtailed and rainbow sharks from the wild since they have been confirmed as extinct outside of the aquatics hobby.

I have seen Leptobarbus hoovenii (aka cigar shark) labled as gold sharks before.
Since when? Pretty much everything I've seen says they're wild caught and extremely difficult to breed in captivity.

All RTBS and rainbow sharks are captive bred in asian fish farms with the use of hormones and then shipped to wholesalers around the world. The RTBS was confirmed extint last year and the rainbow is believed to be extinct and will probably be announced such sometime in the next few years.

Ah, no wonder. A year is not really much time in the way of updating information. Sad to see they're extinct in the wild but at least they're not extinct yet. There's still the chance at re-releasing them in the wild in the future.

Very unlikely considering their habitat will soon be impossible to live in for them as humans continue to take over the worl... anyway, the color and the 'tadpole' description make me wonder if it's a shark at all. Could it be a knife fish of some kind or possibly a hillstream loach though I'd think you'd be more likely to describe that as being shaped like a horshoe crab or a ray than as a tadpole - and they don't have huge eyes nor are they silver :p What size was it and what sort of behaviour did it demonstrate? Was it swimming in the upper layers, hiding in a pot etc?

OK, sorry, I didn't know too much about it. It is long and slender. It's fins are tight ti its body. One was gold, and the other silver, it wasn't albino. Two big eyes on the front, and it hung out fairly still towards the top of the water. It wasn't a bottom feeder either. I'm going down to PETsMART right now to buy the thing, it's really interesting to me, I just hope it get bigger then it is. (About 1 1/2 inches) oh, it's NOT albino, but fairly transparent... :dunno:

sylvia said:
Very unlikely considering their habitat will soon be impossible to live in for them as humans continue to take over the worl...
Ever hear of habitat reclaimation? ;)

If they are farming so many why dont they introduce them back into the wild?.... seems a bit daft to me...

If it wasnt an albino it might have been a "Blushing Shark" Not sure of their latin name but I have seen them in fish shops..

Ben

You shouldn't buy it if you have no idea what it is... it may turn out to be a 24" monster in a year or two for all you know.

Oh and Teelie, shure I've heard of it but what makes you think that's going to happen any time soon? If it isn't in the interest of the government, it simply won't happen - how many tourists go to the rivers of Thailand looking for RTBSs or rainbow sharks? :p At least they won't become extinct though - not as long as there's a demand for them in the aquarium trade. :D

I haven't given up on humanity yet. People will change their minds or realize what's being lost and try to at least repair some of the damage.

OK, I'm sorry, but I saw it again, and it DID have a red back fin. Only the red back fin was red. It has big black eyes and resembles a MINNOW. I didn't buy it, but it was labeled Golden Shark again.

P.S. Don't shop at PetsMART they're fish are sickly and the people...weird. Do they have petsmarts in Europe?

Most reactions

Back