Gold Fish Quick Answer

mrtash

Reaction score
i have a sister who just bought an aqarium but already has 3 gold fish, they would like to know if the goldfish will be ok at aquarium temps and so use them to assist a with fish cycle, i do not know and am doing a fishless cycle.

thanks

it is not ideal but can be done If you monitor the water stats Daily and water change as soon as problems occur,
the heater doesn't need to be switched on whilst the goldfish are present, or you can keep it at its minimum temp which should be around 22C

Although Fishless Cycling would be much better if you can convince her to choose that method instead

Edit: if she already has a tank she can just take 1/3rd of the filter media across to the new tank allowing her to start off with 2-3 hardy tropicals and then very slowly build from there

it is not ideal but can be done If you monitor the water stats Daily and water change as soon as problems occur,
the heater doesn't need to be switched on whilst the goldfish are present, or you can keep it at its minimum temp which should be around 22C

Although Fishless Cycling would be much better if you can convince her to choose that method instead

Edit: if she already has a tank she can just take 1/3rd of the filter media across to the new tank allowing her to start off with 2-3 hardy tropicals and then very slowly build from there

proberbly best to bag them up and take them to a pet shop then

proberbly best to bag them up and take them to a pet shop then

i would tend to agree!

Another thing people often aren't aware of is the goldfish experts seem to say that the first goldfish needs 20 US gallons I believe and then it subsequent one needs another 10 gallons added to that, so she'd be looking at needing 40G/150L as a minimum tank volume for those 3 by themselves.

~~waterdrop~~

Another thing people often aren't aware of is the goldfish experts seem to say that the first goldfish needs 20 US gallons I believe and then it subsequent one needs another 10 gallons added to that, so she'd be looking at needing 40G/150L as a minimum tank volume for those 3 by themselves.

~~waterdrop~~

lol, it is often recommended here, that a "fancy" needs 50ukg,+ 20ukg per extra fish and a "standard" 100ukg + 30 for each extra fish. whichever, you need a bigger tank than most LFS would admit, and almost everyone realises.

Most reactions

Back