The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

fish48

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Gold barbs spawned. a total of 900 eggs
. IMG_8815 - Copy - Copy (3).JPG

That's cool. They're really under-rated as barbs go. I just hope you want 900!

In aquarium conditions, you could end up with 50.

That's a good looking fish. Well done for keeping them slim. Barbs have a see-food diet. ;)

That's cool. They're really under-rated as barbs go. I just hope you want 900!

In aquarium conditions, you could end up with 50.

I agree they are under-rated but still a nice looking fish. Not all of the eggs are good. Approximately 250 may hatch.Between 30 and 50 would be a good number to work with.

They can be prone to a few deformities due to 60 years of inbreeding.

I think the natural green version of this species is a stunner, and I'm permanently surprised that it's hardly ever available.

The gold barb is a sport of the green, (now Barbodes semifasciolatus). When I started, (1960's), the green was a regular, but they drifted out of fashion compared to the gold, ("Schuberti"), which largely replaced them. A good quality green is a great looking fish.
Another fish, Pethia gelius, is also called a gold barb, often with a "dwarf" added, another great fish. It has been bred to present several variations of the ground colour, copper, red, blue I recall, they are all vague variations on the basic fish, upped by marketing twits.
Things were so much easier when barbs were all "Barbus xxxxxx".

Last edited:
Probably my favorite of the 8 types of barbs I have. So chill and minds their own business while being beautiful. Black rubys and checkerboard are the other very calm ones

Most reactions

Back