Going well, so what's next...

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JPW003

Reaction score
Hi all

This is my third post as a new fishkeeper. You'll know if you've read my two previous posts that I had a cycling niggle and a plant niggle. Pleased to say that both have responded well to great advice and I've still got all five of my original neon tetras in my 54l tank and my plants are on the up. My ammonia is now zero, I have a tiny (<0.25ppm) of nitrate and my nitrate is 5-10ppm. I'm three weeks into the cycle process exactly.

I have gravel susbtrate and am keeping it clean with regular water changes and keeping on top of excess algae growth.

I want to add a few more neon tetra's to make a comfortable school (perhaps 5?), and some cleaning fish like shrimps and snails. I'd love to add some Cory's but I'm not sure it's fair for them on gravel?

My question is when to add more fish, like the above? Do I wait till the end of the month when all should be settled or could I start in the next week or so? I want to make the tetra school nice and comfortable but don't want to risk upsetting all the dedication and effort I've done in cycling the tank to where it is now.

Any advice on timings and suggestions on the above greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

J

Personally I’d wait out the month then add a couple more of your tetras.
ive used shrimp before and their major benefit is that since they eat so much junk they prevent as muchammonia as they could produce in most tanks, making them a safe choice for newer tanks, plus they’re fun!

Hi all

This is my third post as a new fishkeeper. You'll know if you've read my two previous posts that I had a cycling niggle and a plant niggle. Pleased to say that both have responded well to great advice and I've still got all five of my original neon tetras in my 54l tank and my plants are on the up. My ammonia is now zero, I have a tiny (<0.25ppm) of nitrate and my nitrate is 5-10ppm. I'm three weeks into the cycle process exactly.

I have gravel susbtrate and am keeping it clean with regular water changes and keeping on top of excess algae growth.

I want to add a few more neon tetra's to make a comfortable school (perhaps 5?), and some cleaning fish like shrimps and snails. I'd love to add some Cory's but I'm not sure it's fair for them on gravel?

My question is when to add more fish, like the above? Do I wait till the end of the month when all should be settled or could I start in the next week or so? I want to make the tetra school nice and comfortable but don't want to risk upsetting all the dedication and effort I've done in cycling the tank to where it is now.

Any advice on timings and suggestions on the above greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

J
I like how excited you are! And dedicated.
I missed what kind of tetras you have, I know it was neon, but I used to get the Neons mixed up with Cardinals, but as long as they are the smaller kind I think 10, or maybe a couple less, and two Amano shrimp!
Also, maybe ask other forum members about sexing the fish. If you wait maybe you can have a proper ratio.
Can't wait for pictures.

One day I want a species only tetra tank. I just tried but failed miserably...I should have done more research on different aspects, and I also purchased them within a couple days of arriving at the fish store because I was greedy and couldn't wait. Green Neons.

You sound very prepared.

That reminds me, I was advised to wait a week or more (?) to see how they fare at the fish store. Anyone else agree on that?

Hello,
You seem to be having a quick cycle which is lucky. You are correct in thinking gravel is not good for cories.
Do you have somewhere to quarantine the new neons? If not they could introduce ich or another disease to your original group.
Be mindful that shrimp need a mature tank with established biofilm.

Thank you, I didn't know that. All my shrimp were added after my tanks were established. Learning SO much on this forum!

Sorry didn't do the quote thing right...practicing

Do you know the GH and pH of your water? It could be shown on the water suppliers website.

You are basically doing a silent cycle which is what I do with my tanks. After my planted tank was running for about 2-3 weeks I added my first group of fish (5 red eyed tetras) I monitored my water for 2 weeks, if the water quality stays good then I added my 2nd group (5 ember tetras) then I monitored again for about 2 weeks and added my 3rd group (neon tetras) and later my 4th group glow light tetras. I have a well planted 55 gallon tank. I also add more plants especially floating plants during this time and never had an ammonia spike. It takes time, you can go faster in adding your fish but you must make sure you have plenty of floating and fast growing plants to absorb the ammonia.

Hello,
You seem to be having a quick cycle which is lucky. You are correct in thinking gravel is not good for cories.
Do you have somewhere to quarantine the new neons? If not they could introduce ich or another disease to your original group.
Be mindful that shrimp need a mature tank with established biofilm.
Good thinking! I would suggest going ahead and getting the tetras and keep them in QT until end of month. Never add a fish that has not gone through 2 week QT. A food safe 8 Qt storage container makes a great QT TANK. You will need a heater and either filter or daily water changes too. I recommend the cheap filter. I wouldn’t go over 10 neon tetras in that size tank though if I’m figuring right...is that about 15 US gallons!

Last edited:
Good thinking! I would suggest going ahead and getting the tetras and keep them in QT until end of month. Never add a fish that has not gone through 2 week QT. A food safe 8 Qt storage container makes a great QT TANK. You will need a heater and either filter or daily water changes too. I recommend the cheap filter.
QT which you should also be doing while you test your water before adding the next group of fish.

Thanks all.
My pH is 6.4 and my GH is very soft, Clarke 5.74.

I don't have a quarantine tank sadly so not sure what to do with new fish whenever I get them... I'll wait for the shrimps for a few weeks I think until it's settled.

Do snails need quarantine before hand? What would you suggest if I don't have a quarantine tank to introduce new fish?

Thanks in advance,

J

What would you suggest if I don't have a quarantine tank to introduce new fish?
Its not ideal but if you are bying from a LFS this has worked for me in the past
  1. Go in to the shop and check if they have what you are after and that everything in the tank looks healthy
  2. Go back home and phone the shop. Ask if they have the species you are after
  3. Ask them to reserve as many as you need, because unfortunatley you can't collect for 2 weeks
  4. Go back after 2 weeks and if they still all look healthy collect them
This is not completely without risk, but it does reduce it.

Thanks all.
My pH is 6.4 and my GH is very soft, Clarke 5.74.

I don't have a quarantine tank sadly so not sure what to do with new fish whenever I get them... I'll wait for the shrimps for a few weeks I think until it's settled.

Do snails need quarantine before hand? What would you suggest if I don't have a quarantine tank to introduce new fish?

Thanks in advance,

J
As I mentioned above, many of us use food safe plastic food storage containers. If you are going to keep fish, a QT tank is a priority. Once you get a group of sick fish that kill your tank, you’ll believe in quarantining. All responsible fish owners do.

Thanks for all your advice guys, I'm going to go get a quarantine tank! So, food storage tank?! Sorry, new to this. How many gallons? Am I not best in buying a small starter tank, get it cycled and then add the new fish. Then, after a couple of weeks, if all good move to the 54l existing tank?

If so, how can I use the current sponge filter and existing cycled tank to speed up the quarantine tank? I now have no amonia, no nitrite and 10ppm nitrate! I think that's pretty good 5 and a half weeks in!

Loving fishkeeping!

J

Yeah that’s pretty much the way. I use a 10gallon, but I suppose it depends on the size of fish you plan on having in the future.
if you add your healthy filter media it will cycle very quickly, basically already be cycled, BUT make sure any water you add is already dechlorinated in the new tank or it will kill the healthy bacteria you worked so hard to grow.

Most reactions

Back