Going Dirt - Tips And Tricks For A First Timer?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Smelliot

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Time to kick things off, now I've got plenty of free time I want to convert my Juwel Rio240 into a dirted tank.
I'll be using Organic Miracle Gro potting mix.

- First Question is it necessary to have much capping, ex if I used 4 inches of dirt do I have to have 4 inches of gravel capping it or will 2 inches be fine?

I'm really just interested in tips and tricks you've picked up from experiencing it yourself, the do's and don't I've read a load of articles etc on it I'm just interested in some first hand experiences!

-Thanks Smelliot

You've prolly already read it, but keep an eye on the ammonia. The chicken poop in it may be a little unruly.
Great idea though I've been thinking about making a soil from scratch this last few weeks.
I look forward to the journal ;)

I probably will make a journal I just need to remember to take all the photos of the process... At the moment I'm just waiting on someone to come and pick up the savages - (silver dollar, green severum) plants eaters. As soon as they're gone from my bare tank I can move all my current fish/plants there until It's set up then the plants can go in then the waiting to return the fish.

Most reactions

Back