Glues

spudgun2k

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello, I am collecting bits and bobs at the moment from Ebay for my new tank that I will set up in appox 1 month when I move house.
It will be a star wars themed tank with at at walkers, a millenium falcon and other star wars things. I need to somehow stick these down to a clear plastic acrylic base. (I will glue together a battle scene, with a black backdrop with silver stars everywhere)
Now I need to glue everything as I say, I was speaking to a hugely knowledgeable fishkeeper/lfs worker, (uses this forum) he said I should post this here topic as somebody may be able to tell me what types of superglue ( there are some he says) that i can use.

Or any other idea's that people use.

Thank you in advance.

Lee

it's called aquarium silicone sealant. all glass aquarium makes one in 1oz and 3oz sizes, but i've also seen a 10oz one. perfecto and marineland also make them.

Ordinary superglue should be fine. It is used to stick coral frags to rock. Once it is set (if possible leave your figures for about 24 hours to be on the safe side) it is fairly inert so will not cause problems with the water chemistry.

It will be a star wars themed tank with at at walkers, a millenium falcon and other star wars things. I need to somehow stick these down to a clear plastic acrylic base. (I will glue together a battle scene, with a black backdrop with silver stars everywhere)
When you get this project done make sure you show us a picture. And as Yoda said, "Try not! Do, or do not, there is no try."

No problems will gladly post pictures of its progress, Thanks for the advice andy.

it's called aquarium silicone sealant. all glass aquarium makes one in 1oz and 3oz sizes, but i've also seen a 10oz one. perfecto and marineland also make them.

Or you can go to the hardware store and buy 100% silicone sealant at less than 1/3 the price. The stuff in the hardware store is exactly the same stuff, just in the LFS and in the "aquarium" pacakging, they chage a lot more money. Jsut makes sure in the hardware store, you don't buy any of the sealants with anti-mildew or any other chemicals -- just 100% silicone sealant.

thanks for that bignose I always wondered what silicone was safe and I hated paying the prices for the guaranteed aquarium safe stuff. yay

Yeah, the silicone in the hardware store does say on the back, not for aquariums, but I think that is just for their legal protection. It is exactly the same stuff. Again, just make sure it doesn't have any anti-mildew, anti-fungal or perfumes or anything besides 100% silicone in it.

i was gonna say that maybe there was something in the silicone that made the bond stronger. Ya know for fishtanks but then I went and checked a tube of aquarium silicone I have and it says 100% silicone. So I guess your right. Cool. I get to save money.

Most reactions

Back