Glow in the dark Pebbles

Gill

Store Manager Coalville Aquatics
Reaction score
Bettaware Catalogue just arrived.

They are selling Glow in the Dark Pebbles 100 for £4.99.

Does anyone know if Glow in the Dark Products are safe to use in Tanks.

As it would make taking pictures @ night Alot Easier.

They Are Green Phosphorus Color.

Rang the Bettaware product information Line. (Used to work for them as Regional Manager so should still get my Discount)They will check for me and get back to me this afternoon.

Bettaware have rang back, They have checked and double checked.

The pebbles are Safe for all Aquarium Use, Cold And Tropical.

Only problem is that the Pebbles GLowing Properties only last 3 Months if kept Under Water.

I think you should get them and then seal them with something! I'm sure you could ind some sort of sealent. You could draw a picture in your substrate if you wanted.

Opcn

Test it and buy loads and then you can change it when it nears the end of existence or put a waterproof glue or something, safe to use in water and aquariums, and try it out.

They might actually like it. it would get rid of the shock of all of the light instantly disappearing, and may help bottom feeder find extra food at night, the phosphorus would eventually die down in a few minuets/hours (I assume) until more like was introduced for it to collect.
Sealing them off with aquarium safe sealant is a good Idea too, but you may want to call the company again just to confer weather this would affect the light collecting ability of the gravel. :)

If nothing leaked out of them, why would they stop working after 3 months in water?

thanks for all you replys.

i am going to seal them b4 they go into the tank.

your right they would help night feeders locate food.

The Chemical Used to create Glow in the Dark has a short Life time. In the Garden they would be kept cool by the Grass so in A cold Tank they will last longer.

because the water is warm it is reacting more, so the glow time i reduced.

Is it phosphorescent (absorbs light during the day and releases it at night like the old glo dial watches) or a calcyume type reaction (light stick, fireflies). It sounds like calcyume due to the temperature difference in life. If so, coating them will make no difference, when the reagents are used up, they are gone. If this is the chemical, it should already be sealed into the rock.

its calcyume. that is what they have said. so i do not need to seal them,

I'm glad I cam across the thread as too want to use glow pebbles. I'm going for black sand and the back of my tank is black so I thought blue glow pebbles placed behind ornaments and caves would look really cool.

Fish need darkness in order to rest, I wouldn't add them personally as it would more than likely play havoc with the circadian rhythm of your fish which will stress them.

Fish need darkness in order to rest, I wouldn't add them personally as it would more than likely play havoc with the circadian rhythm of your fish which will stress them.
Bang goes that idea lol. Last thing I want to do is cause my fish any stress. As they say 'if in doubt leave it out'. ;)

Yes, Standby is quite correct. Aside from the possibility of toxins, the light during darkness would severely stress--and I mean very severely stress--the fish. There has to be a day/night cycle to keep the circadian rhythm functioning properly. There is a lot to tank lighting that many do not realize or provide for, and fish health can be seriously compromised.

Byron.

Yes, Standby is quite correct. Aside from the possibility of toxins, the light during darkness would severely stress--and I mean very severely stress--the fish. There has to be a day/night cycle to keep the circadian rhythm functioning properly. There is a lot to tank lighting that many do not realize or provide for, and fish health can be seriously compromised.

Byron.
I'm a nightowl and have always had the light off in the day and on during the night. My tank has a black background with a lot of depth and height so it is very dark when the light is off. Am I doing anything wrong? would love some feedback. I've had my tank for 5 years and everything seems to be fine. :dunno:

Most reactions

Back