Glass v Plexiglass v Open Top

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Falconwithaboxon

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a 45 gallon tank and I am looking to replace the lid for it. I want a glass lid as I just bought a nice light that I can't use with a black lid. The lid dimensions would be 36" L x 12" W. I cannot find anyone selling what I need so I was thinking about making my own or doing it lidless.

If I make my own it would either be glass or plexiglass. I was just wondering which one might be better in you guys's opinion. Price matters but not a ton.

I was also thinking about just running my tank lidless but I am I'm sure if any of my fish would try to escape. Lidless looks the best in my opinion and I do have a second tank I could move stuff to. I'd prefer not to move anything around but if it would just be too difficult/expensive to do class or plexiglass, I will move whatever fish would be an issue, unless unless it is one of my big guys.
Stock:
2 Angels (Unknown Type)
2 Opaline Gourami
8 Black Veil Tetra
6 Pearl Danio
8 Emerald Cory
2 Julii Cory
1 King Tiger Pleco
1 Colombian Spotted Pleco
4 Mystery Snail + Unkown number of babies
4 Nerite Snail
Tall stem plants and ferns

I prefer lids, helps minimize evaporation, and keeps unwanted things out of the tank...as well as preventing escape for the inhabitants.

You can buy the plastic hinge separately, and have a glass shop cut your pieces for you, it's inexpensive.

My 75 is lidless where as all my others have lids. The tank does lose water to evaporation very fast even though that tank is in AC, 68°F room temp. I do water changes in the 75 once a week and lose about 1.5-2 gallons of water between changes from evaporation

All of my tanks are lidless. I’ve never had a problem with fish jumping out, even though the fish I keep are all “notorious jumpers”.

Not having a lid does require more maintenance, because of water evaporation. Just to give you an idea of how fast water evaporates, my 20g and 29g loose about 2 gallons of water a week.

My tank is open top which looks great but I do worry about jumpers. I've bought a D&D Red Sea Jump Guard which is a metal frame with wire netting. I'm finding it tough to work out how to fit it as I have quite a bit of equipment in and out of the tank (despite best efforts, though I've just realised I dont need to do cut outs for my lights which changes things a bit...) But when they are done well it does look good.

If you go for glass or acrylic go for glass people always say acrylic bows eventually.

Wills

Relative humidity in my home without the tanks is about 55%, with the tanks that jumped to 65%, without lids I started to have issues with moisture and relative humidity sometimes as high as 80%, so I went back to lids.

Some Plexiglass, ie most of the stuff from HomeDepot, absorbs moisture and can sag, so I only use glass covers now.

AC generally removes moisture from the air which will increase the amount of evaporation from the tanks.

If I could go without lids it would sure be nice to have a tank with emergent plants.

Most reactions

Back