glass top

StanTheBetta

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I'm getting a 20 long this weekend but it needs a hood. Some of them are rather expensive so I thought what if I just take a peice of glass and use a glass cutter to cut a peice to fit. I'd leave a little room in the back for the AQ 200 I'm going to get and I'd cut a 3-4" section off the front and maybe use some plastic or rubber and glue it to both sides to make a crude hinge. How does that sound? Then I'm going to get some cheapo fluroscent plugin fixtures from home depot and just set them on top of the glass. Do you think this is feasible?

I think that should work just fine. I have a 55 gal. with a hood, but I also have an emporer 400 and it doesn't fit properly. It will go, but it always has moisture collecting on the back of my lightfixture and that's where the switch is. I have asked around and my experts say it should work. I am going to use plexi-glas becaues it will be easier to work with and it's lighter. Just gotta get the moo-lah to buy it! Be sure the flourescent lights you buy have plenty of vents on the top. That's the only thing I can think of that might be a problem. GL! :D

I dont know if this is exactly how you are thinking of doing it, but this is what I would do. First off, make sure you either have the measurments or the actual light you will be using. Do as you planned as far as leaving room in the rear for the filter. For example, say your tank is 20 inches deep and your filter will need 4 inches. So, cut the glass so it is 16 inches wide. This will leave room for the filter. Then, measure out how much room of that 16 inches needs to be dedicated to your lighting. Lets use 6 inches.

Cut that 16 inch piece of glass again, into a 10 inch and 6 inch wide section. Home Depot should sell some T shaped piece of weather stripping (or similar) You will put the "leg" of the stripping between the 2 pieces of glass, and the cross section across the two tops. So, the part that looks more like this " I " will be a buffer between the glass, and the top of the stripping or the " __ " part will have to be glued to the top of the glass. This will create your hinge.

Lastly, you just need some kind of handle, which can be made from anything handle shaped with a adhesive backing, or that you can glue. The striplight I bought for my tank came with two things to raise it off the tank a little bit. They are L shaped and have an adhesive bottom. Attatching this to the glass would make a perfect handle I think.

mhoward1999 said:
I am going to use plexi-glas becaues it will be easier to work with and it's lighter.
Yep, I'd use plexi-glass for that same reason, and it won't break. Plus if you add a bigger filter or need other stuff with the plexi you can cut it yourself.

Ed

Most reactions

Back