Glass Cats Advice

st24rsap

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i have 3 glass catfish all of which are about 3 inches or so long, untill the last few days they have all looked identical but today i noticed that one of them has a huge lump on its stomach the size of a small pea, it looks very healthy and is feeding and swimming well just wondering if anyone has any ideas????

heres a few pics, not great as they move so fast lol

100_0261.jpg

100_0260.jpg

I'm guessing it is just food

strange as it wasnt like it last week and i havnt been feeding them much as the tank is cycling at the mo

can you describe with more detail or take a better picture? this species' stomach is usually silver with black dots covering it, sometimes giving it a blackish color. ive kept many of these fish, i once had one which developed a large white spot over top of the left side of its stomach, the spot seemed like a tumor at first, slightly swollen. the fish lived fine, however, remained the leader of the pack and lived for quite a long time afterward.

can you describe with more detail or take a better picture? this species' stomach is usually silver with black dots covering it, sometimes giving it a blackish color. ive kept many of these fish, i once had one which developed a large white spot over top of the left side of its stomach, the spot seemed like a tumor at first, slightly swollen. the fish lived fine, however, remained the leader of the pack and lived for quite a long time afterward.

nothing looks abnormal with the fish, the stomache is silver and black as you describe and is an even size all over its just really big compared with the others, i will try and get some better pics

their stomachs get large like that when full, how often do you feed them? it could just be a larger stomach, which i imagine the fish will grow and eventually the stomach will be proportional :)

the last week they have been fed once every few days as the tank was cycling

odd as the glass cat now looks the same as the others, the large belly has disapeared totally :unsure:

Are you sure nothing has bumped into the fish causing the damage. I seen ghost go like that when they are stressed as well.

i beleive if glass cats are stressed they go a clowdy colour instead of see through so i dont think its stress, something may have bumped into him but he is feeding well and there are no signs of damage on him

hi st24rsap

are you sure it hasnt layed eggs it is hard to breed these in captivity but not unheared of
someone on here a wile back
got some and a few days later found some babies in there tank :good:

hi st24rsap

are you sure it hasnt layed eggs it is hard to breed these in captivity but not unheared of
someone on here a wile back
got some and a few days later found some babies in there tank :good:

never even thought of that drewry, would make sense i spose that it was big oneday and not the next. i havnt seen any eggs or babys but wouldnt know what i was looking for anyway i dont know a lot about the glass cats.

i shall do some research and have a good look in the tank tonight if i can find out what to look for lol

yeah i dont know allot about them either
but worth looking for eggs or babies as i dont know how long they take to hatch if you have some :good:

i had to do a large water change last night and hoover all the gravel so if there was any eggs or babys i cant see there going to be there now.

cant seem to find any info on breeding them though, typical

iv just looked but carnt find out either
but not allot is known on the breeding side of things .
o well good luck with them :good:

Most reactions

Back